Weapon models and material IDs

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
Swaffy

Weapon models and material IDs

Post by Swaffy »

I added a P-38 Lightning airplane from the Forgotten Hope v0.7 mod, and it will not take damage from most forms of damage.
This is what damage is done, and what isn't done:

Does Damage:
- Water
- Splash damage from explosions
- Outside of map

Doesn't do damage:
- Bullets
- Smashing into ground
- Hitting other vehicles

In short, it does not take any direct-hit damage. How can this be fixed?

[Edit] If you need more information, you can ask me all the questions you like. I am almost desperate to get this fixed.
Last edited by Swaffy on Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™
Swaffy

Re: P38 Lightning will not take damage.

Post by Swaffy »

Issue still active. [Bumping thread]
Please ask if you need more info.
freddy

Post by freddy »

sounds like its made of a material that isn´t defined in the damage system settings "The Collision Meshes" i think.

its not my area really so cant help you much more

edit: take a look here http://bfmods.com/mdt/Tutorials/Standar ... index.html
Check the box next to "Force MatID" and type in the number you want to use. (This sets 1 material ID for the entire object. If you have assigned custom ID's to different surfaces in Max, then leave this unchecked. How to do this is explained in other tutorials on the site.)
Iced Earth

Post by Iced Earth »

FH uses a whole slew of new material numbers, and it would be a ton of work to try and code new material numbers by hand.

I'd recommend finding what material numbers the P38 uses, creating new mat IDs, but copying info from an existing plane. I would go into more depth but I'm super tired...if you need more specific info just reply.

All this info can be found in objects.rfa (FH mod, P38/Objects.con, material number), game.rfa (FH, where materials are defined), and the standard meshes of the plane (gmax, 3dsmax). I don't know how detailed the mat IDs get with FH's planes. I think BF planes have one or two material IDs. FH planes might have more, or be the same.
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

Oh, wow. That sucks. It's like FH is a whole different game. It should just be called "Battlefield: Forgotten Hope."

I'll look at it in the future ... when I actually know how to use 3dsMax. I've only downloaded it before, looked at the program, and got scared to use it.
Iced Earth

Post by Iced Earth »

Don't worry, its actually not that bad for someone with no experience to open a standardmesh and find its faces material IDs. I haven't done it in a long time though. :cry:
freddy

Post by freddy »

material ID
60: Mustang/Corsair/Spitfire/Yak9/Ju87/Zero/B109 (Engines/Cockpit), Zero (Fuselage), SBD (All)
61: Most Planes (Wings), Mustang (Tail)
62: Mustang (Wings), B17 (Tail)
63: AichiVal/Stuka (Cockpit), Most Planes (Tails)
http://realtimerendering.com/erich/bf19 ... ngrid.html
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

I have 3ds Max working with BF1942, and I've even edited a few gun meshes to make them look more ... realistic. [Some iron sights were a bit deformed].

In 3ds Max, how would I go about changing the Material? I know that there's different tools/things to play around with regarding materials, but what exactly do I do?
Some details are needed.

[And Freddy, that MDT tutorial didn't help at all. I don't think it even talked about changing the material.]
Iced Earth

Post by Iced Earth »

Well you wouldn't have to change the materials of the meshes...you could just write down what they are and make entries for them in the damage system. Ugh I forget all the terminology, but if you turn the mesh/whatever into editable poly/mesh, i believe on the right sidebar it shows you what material # is assigned to it.

I guess if you were doing JUST the P38 you could do either way (replace mat #s, or make entries for new mat #s)...if you were doing lots of vehicles from FH adding the entries would be best.
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

I opened up the P38's mesh in 3DS Max 7 and changed it there.