Battleclaft ain't working in Windows 10

If you know something thats not in here please share it
FraNKVD

Battleclaft ain't working in Windows 10

Post by FraNKVD »

Hi modders,

I have Windows 10 x64 and I have no way to use Battlecraft 42 on my PC as it requires OpenGL and after many tries I can't fix the two errors: i require wgl_ext_swap_control to work, and: failed to initialize some OpenGl extensions. Could you lend me a hand in that issue if you don't mind of course.
Also I tried to use Ed42, but the cursor doesn't show up on screen, but yes on the settings bar, and the objects doesn't show up-
Thank you very much in advance.

Any kind of help would be very helpful.

Greetings
Crash42modder

Re: Battleclaft ain't working in Windows 10

Post by Crash42modder »

I use it on win 10 64 and it works fine.
duffman

Post by duffman »

OpenGL is a standard that has changed over time with different version numbers and different implementations.
Good graphics cards implement all the different individual versions and fully support them.

Unfortunately "Intel Graphics" only implement the latest version so it looks good from a sale perspective, but its pretty much
absolute rubbish graphics. You are gone have to find a new graphics card most likely.. Been there, done that.. more than once..

Download a free app on the net called "OpenGL Extensions Viewer" .. it will show you all the versions of OpenGL individually
and what your graphics card/drivers can handle (see OpenGL Report in the app).

There's a gotcha in here, the latest and greatest driver isnt always the best, sometimes older drivers support early versions of OpenGL
versions, and is removed in latest driver... why some of the good old classic games dont work anymore..
executioners

Post by executioners »

"Unfortunately "Intel Graphics"...." fortunately there are and other brands

"....so it looks good from a sale perspective,...." not so "good"

"....but its pretty much absolute rubbish graphics." exactly

they smell the money as crows smell the blood

plutocratic companies care only about dumbshit a$$hole money

they are not philanthropic institutions after all

"....the latest and greatest driver isnt always the best,...." agree completely

old ones old problems, new ones new problems

and every now and then with their "excuse" again among other things of "evolution" and with their "uncompatibility" they force you to buy (as if everyone "is" a bank or something) new PC with new problems

"....good old classic games...." old but gold
BangBangOw<CP*SF>

Post by BangBangOw<CP*SF> »

I get both of those errors, they are common and don't really affect anything with Battlecraft 42.

ED42 is a pain in the ass, it is mainly used for texturing the ground, as it has a really good feature for that. Also no object limit, and a really neat forest tool... other than that, I'd steer towards Battlecraft.

One thing I notice with Windows 10 for me is when i make the BC42 window really small it allows the program to work and show the screen properly...

If I have it as a full window, it will not work. Just gives me a white of black screen and can't see what I'm actually doing.

Make sure to run as admin.

You can also try windows 98 service pack, and other compatibility modes.
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

BangBangOw<CP*SF> wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:33 am I get both of those errors, they are common and don't really affect anything with Battlecraft 42.

ED42 is a pain in the ass, it is mainly used for texturing the ground, as it has a really good feature for that. Also no object limit, and a really neat forest tool... other than that, I'd steer towards Battlecraft.

One thing I notice with Windows 10 for me is when i make the BC42 window really small it allows the program to work and show the screen properly...

If I have it as a full window, it will not work. Just gives me a white of black screen and can't see what I'm actually doing.

Make sure to run as admin.

You can also try windows 98 service pack, and other compatibility modes.
I agree, BC beats ED42 in pretty much everything except ground texturing. Plus you can test your map on the fly with BC. And ED42's mod support is pretty crappy.
See my Strasbourg map project here.
VliegjesGehakt

Post by VliegjesGehakt »

BangBangOw<CP*SF> wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:33 am One thing I notice with Windows 10 for me is when i make the BC42 window really small it allows the program to work and show the screen properly...
I tired that out, and found a solution: make the BC42 window so small that the screen does show properly, move the window in the left top corner of the screen, then increase the window size to the right bottom with the mouse, not with the maximize button. After that the bc does show properly.
Crash42modder

Post by Crash42modder »

Good idea.
Crash42modder

Post by Crash42modder »

Good idea. That should do it.