Moving objects between mods

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
TerrancePickles

Moving objects between mods

Post by TerrancePickles »

Is it possible to move vehicles from one BF42 mod to another? For instance, can I move aircraft or tanks from Eve of Destruction to DC Final or from Forgotten Hope or RealPlane to vanilla BF42?

If this is possible, how is it done? (I have seen a number of "mixed mod" maps on online multiplayer, such as WWII prop planes in DC Final maps and so forth...)

Thanks!
fo0k

Re: Moving objects between mods

Post by fo0k »

Hi Terrance,

porting objects from one mod to another is possible any varies in difficulty depending on the object. From statics through to vehicles. Can you give us an idea of you experience/knowledge of modding battlefield. Have you ever placed a custom object in a map before?
TerrancePickles

My experience is kinda limited. All I have ever managed to do (using the rfa tools) is to move vehicles and other objects to different maps within a specific mod, never outside. For instance, I could take a tank on a map in Forgotten Hope (FH) and move it to another map within FH. That's pretty easy. But I was never sure how to move, say, that same tank, to vanilla BF42 or another mod like DC/DCF or FinnWars or something like that. I saw that there were a couple of threads on this issue in the archive but they weren't very detailed. (At least, not for a n00b like me!)

Ideally, I just wanted to move some FH content to vanilla BF42 and maybe some of the objects from Eve of Destruction to DC or DCF.

You mentioned placing custom objects; I am assuming you mean custom objects from the mods, not objects that I have created myself. (Creating my own objects is WAYYY beyond my skill level!) I have never placed a custom object into a map and would have no idea how to do it. As I said, I can use rfa to place objects that within a given mod into other maps from that same mod, but never anything from outside the mod.

If there is a detailed, step-by-step tutorial somewhere on the site, I will gladly read it and try to use it! :)
freddy

Post by freddy »

there is a quick way to make it work like you want, in Battlefield 1942\Mods\bf1942 open the file init.con and add the pathway to the mod witch you want to use the vehicles from

example

Code: Select all

game.addModPath Mods/bfheroes/
now you can place that mods vehicles in any bf42 map.
TerrancePickles

Re:

freddy wrote:there is a quick way to make it work like you want, in Battlefield 1942\Mods\bf1942 open the file init.con and add the pathway to the mod witch you want to use the vehicles from

example

Code: Select all

game.addModPath Mods/bfheroes/
now you can place that mods vehicles in any bf42 map.

Thanks Freddy!

I'll give it a try when I get a chance--hopefully in a day or so--and then let you know how it works out...
TerrancePickles

Re: Re:

Well, I tried that and it worked...sorta.

I was able to move vehicles from the second expansion pack into the original game. (I put the Goblin jet fighter into the Operation Battleaxe map.) But when I tried to get more ambitious, moving content from FH to the original game, and moving content from DC/DCF into the original game, the maps always crashed while loading. I wonder if there may be some "backwards compatibility" limits? (Especially since FH changes so much about the original game...)

Any ideas? :?
freddy

Post by freddy »

yeah i guess there could be some conflicts depending on what mod, many times they have there own material setups and index on weapons and such. you could run the debugger, or if you run it in a dedicated server you will get some messages to. if its only one or two things causing the ctd perhaps it worth to exclude them.
Phalanx

Post by Phalanx »

Yeah I was also wondering about backwards compatability. (Especially in Desert Combat)
I can put a DC Final F-16 in DCX but wouldn't it be possible to go the other way aswell?

How about moving a MiG-25 from DCX to DC Final?
Or an SU-27 from DCFX to DC Final?

Though this is all within the same mod type (DC)
I once tried to move the Yamato battleship from FH to DC and that didn't work :lol:
Bongholio

Post by Bongholio »

Mods add different kits and order of items in each kit (item index) or even the PCO positions/AI files are called differently or not at all
You have to do one mod at a time and take it from there until you fix each.
Make backups
You can't fix stupid,...but you can give it a plastic bag to play with