Is there Any Way to run a Dedicated Server Without it removing Important Edits?

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
professor_smith

Is there Any Way to run a Dedicated Server Without it removing Important Edits?

Post by professor_smith »

Howdy Folks,
Professor_Smith here again with another mind boggling modding issue. Firstly, the HTroop modding team and I just released HTroop v1.2 Beta. It can be found on ModDB.com, at: http://www.moddb.com/mods/na32358
Secondly, when running a Dedicated Server for our Play Testers, a bunch of important edits regarding flame effects caused by flame throwers, lazer towers, and more, are being removed by the Dedicated Server. I have tried so many different ideas and combinations of scripts, but nothing works to allow the Supply Depot effects to work, unless playing in Singleplayer Mod, or running a LAN or Internet game from the Game Menu.
I need a Dedicated Server Expert here that thinks outside the box, to help me figure out a Command or Script (or process) that will allow Supply Depots run from Effects files or in conjunction with Damage Effects, to run over a Dedicated Server.
Or I need a way or a command, to Trick the Dedicated Server or the Game Engine into thinking that it is running a Dedicated Server, while running more like a LAN or Internet Server as if run from the game menu, where NO EDITS are removed from the Host or Clients.

Can anyone help me?

Thank You,

Joshua
Professor_Smith
Lets make war games, not war.
freddy

Re: Is there Any Way to run a Dedicated Server Without it removing Important Edits?

Post by freddy »

It does not work very good using the effect directly, one example from vanilla is the raft that is supposed to spawn when a PT-boat sinks, it works local but not over internet.
What you have to do is using a object as "placeholder" for your Supply Depot, it can be a small invisible object that fires at the same time as the flamethrower and you can regulate it with "timetolive" and amount of these invisible objects.

Its been a long time since i laborated with this, but it goes something like this

you can try using the "dummyobject" directly as ammo, if that doesnt work you have to tie a spawner-x to a bullet, the bullet dont need any special values other than timetolive and the speed it moves (slow), the spawner-x spawns the dummyobject (invisible) and then atlast you put your Supply Depot on the dummyobject.
professor_smith

Re: Is there Any Way to run a Dedicated Server Without it removing Important Edits?

Thank you Freddy. I will give it a try and tell you how it goes.

Joshua
Professor_Smith
professor_smith

So far, I have been able to spawn the damaging supply depot effect, but the problem is when the fire disappears, the damaging area stays. Even after the time to live has passed, or the projectile &/or supply depot time to live, has passed, the damaging effect stays in the place fired. It doesn't ever seem to go away the entire map time. So, unless I can figure out how to make the supply depot last only as long as the flame lasts, I can't use this technique.

Thank You either way Freddy. I appreciate at least the start of something possible.

Joshua
Professor_Smith
freddy

Post by freddy »

Ivé remeber it worked with healing bubbles, the trick is to addtemplate them to something that goes away when it dies.

when i tested i put a healing bubble directly to a dingy, a dingyspawner on a bullet and that worked out ok.

just spawners themself on the other hands doesnt move if they arent tied to someting they stay forever at the place they where created.
professor_smith

Yes, that is the problem I'm currently having. It spawns on an object, but it doesn't disappear when the object dies. However, I might have figured it out. I'll keep you folks informed.
freddy

Post by freddy »

this is needed

Code: Select all

ObjectTemplate.hasMobilePhysics 1