Bridge made of defgun

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
Tuesday

Bridge made of defgun

Post by Tuesday »

I am trying to create a bridge made up of defguns that infantry and vehicles can cross. What I have done so far is spawn 8 defguns in a row over a river and disabled the entry. My problems is that vehicles cannot cross the bridge, they get stuck on the bridge and start rocking. Infatry have no problem crossing the bridge.

Help would be greatly appreciated :)
Last edited by Tuesday on Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apache Thunder

Re: Bridge made of defgun

Post by Apache Thunder »

The game may be using the COL01 mesh instead of the COL02 mesh when vehicle interacts with the defguns. Soldiers always interact with the COL02 mesh when one is available. I haven't looked at this PCO personally as I've never customized one, so I don't know what the collision meshes look like.

Also note that the defgun turrets are child objects (the main building part is the main mesh) and collision physics on child objects is always buggy with vehicles. Soldiers may interact with them properly, but vehicles never will, so this is likely the cause of your problem. Vehicles will either not interact with the child objects at all or in a way that is detrimental to the intended purpose of the object. There isn't a way around this unfortunately.

Unfortunately as a serverside mod, I don't think you can get this to work. You can instead try and create a custom staticobject on the server with the collision mesh shaped like you want. It would work. It would be a bit buggy on the client's end, but it would get the job done. :P
ImageImageImage
I have cameras in your head!
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

Create a static object that is a flat plane that goes across the tops of the DefGuns. Make sure the plane does not colide with the DefGuns if the DefGuns are moving turrets.

One single plane that goes across them all ... and I guess make the AI mesh, whatever that is.
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™
freddy

Post by freddy »

Swaffy wrote:that goes across the tops of the DefGuns.
This! If it is a SSM mod you can put something that works for vehicles over the defguns, maybe a fence or if there are any small bridges you could use.

The negative side is that you cant destroy the invisible part if you where planning to use the bridge strategically
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

I'm talking about a flat plane (not a box, has vour vertices and is a rectangle) made in 3DS Max that does not have any visual mesh. Maybe add a plane below the first one just in case a wheel or soldier goes through the first one.
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder »

If it's a serverside mod it won't matter if your plane mesh has a visible mesh or not. The clients won't see it. ;)

It's only the collision mesh they can interact with.
ImageImageImage
I have cameras in your head!
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

I didn't catch the SSM part. I'm too used to doing everything CSM. :?
Tuesday

Post by Tuesday »

I was hoping that the bridge could be destroyed but it looks like I will have to decide between that and having a bridge that vehicles can cross :roll:

Thanks for all the replies :)