.ske Tuts?

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
takiwa

.ske Tuts?

Post by takiwa »

Does anyone know of any tutorials that cover the creation of .ske files? Specifically dealing with tank tracks?

thank is advance, takiwa
Vilespring

Re: .ske Tuts?

Post by Vilespring »

there is tank treads in the MDT, but it's a dead end.
Someone needs to update that, as I would love to use it, but everything I need is not there, like textures and such.

http://bfmods.com/mdt/Tutorials/index.html
A picture is worth a thousand words, but takes up three thousand times the memory.

Area 51: http://battlefieldarea51mod.weebly.com/

"I didn't steal your pizza"
takiwa

Post by takiwa »

The tank track tut simply shows how to edit tracks with existing .ske files (here's a working mirror of that tut, btw: http://www.battlefieldsingleplayer.com/ ... treads.htm), but I am looking for a tut that covers the creation of new .ske files. I have tried to create my own bones and export them, with horrible results...either I am doing something crazy wrong, or I am having an issue with the tools and max's exporting of my files.
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder »

The easiest way to do new track ske files is to import an existing one, then move them so they line up with the wheels of your new tank. Remember only to do one track at a time. Having both in the same scene will confuse the exporter scripts. Once you finish one side, save and close the scene and then do the other side. You can use the vehicle importer script to import your tank with all the wheels in the correct location. Only use bones on the parts of the track you want to move. The objective is to line each bone up with a wheel since the wheels will be what the bones attach to.

Also it's best to import the ske as boxes I think. Though It's been awhile since I've worked with tank tracks so not entirely sure if that matters.
ImageImageImage
I have cameras in your head!
exe

Post by exe »

takiwa

Post by takiwa »

thanks for the links exe :)

Apache, that's what I've been doing, but when I go ingame I get the weird, spiky geometry that means either my .skn or my .ske is wrong...I may be having a problem with the actual export. I'm using max 7 and 8, both with mdt 2.75. I noticed last night that the original track .skn fir the tank I was playing with was 4.79kb, but my new .skn was only 2.25kb...don't know what to try next, I'm kinda lost at this point.

Edit: gonna try max9 with the 2.762 tools...
takiwa

Post by takiwa »

No dice, max9 still gives the same results...

The steps I am using are:

1) Import the track
2) Import the .ske
3) Apply Skin Modifier to mesh
4) Add bones
5) Edit Envelopes and set bones to affect the correct vertices
6) Select track mesh, export .skn file
7) Delete Skin Modifier
8) Delete bones
9) Export track mesh

Am I doing this in the correct order?
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder »

Did you check your coding? If the path to the ske file in your AnimatedBundle code is wrong, that same bug with the mesh would occur. Also, I usually don't delete the skin modifiers when exporting the SM files. Since you're skinning the meshes, I now remember that you should NOT import/export the ske with the import as boxes option checked. :P

You need to also make sure the right and left track meshes have their own SKE/SKN files. They CAN NOT share the same files! I only had problems when I attempted that. Don't forget to clear out the max scene after you finished one track before moving on doing the other one.

Also remember that all child objects in the track mesh AnimatedBundle MUST be attached to a bone. If one is omitted, the entire rig will not function. If you don't want the non contacting wheels (usually the rear and front top guide wheels), you can have them as rotational bundles or springs that are just addTemplated to a different object.
ImageImageImage
I have cameras in your head!
takiwa

Post by takiwa »

Apache Thunder wrote:Also, I usually don't delete the skin modifiers when exporting the SM files. Since you're skinning the meshes, I now remember that you should NOT import/export the ske with the import as boxes option checked. :P
One (or both) of these things solved the problem :) ...

I revised my steps to:

1) Import the track
2) Import the .ske (NOT as Boxes)
3) Apply Skin Modifier to mesh
4) Add bones
5) Edit Envelopes and set bones to affect the correct vertices
6) Select the Skin Modifier, export .skn file
7) Collapse the Skin Modifier
8) Select the track mesh, export track mesh

Thanks for all your help, Apache :)

Last edited by takiwa on Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vilespring

Post by Vilespring »

congrats on your problem!
can I have that tiger model? It's so.... PERFECT!! The vanilla one pisses me off! :lol:

Oh, I'm gonna start making meshes soon, so I need some texturing tutorials. :)
A picture is worth a thousand words, but takes up three thousand times the memory.

Area 51: http://battlefieldarea51mod.weebly.com/

"I didn't steal your pizza"