Collision mesh visible in Battlecraft 1942, but not in-game?

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
Skull Kid

Collision mesh visible in Battlecraft 1942, but not in-game?

Post by Skull Kid »

Can someone help me explaining why my schwerer shell shows up correctly in Battlecraft 1942, but not in-game? This is very strange, because the collision mesh has worked before, but now suddenly it doesn't?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Last edited by Skull Kid on Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,

Skull Kid
Swaffy

Re: Collision mesh visible in Battlecraft 1942, but not in-g

Post by Swaffy »

Uh ... you're not supposed to see a collision mesh.
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™
Skull Kid

Post by Skull Kid »

True, but the problem is I am able to walk straight through my model?
Regards,

Skull Kid
Skull Kid

Post by Skull Kid »

BUMP
Regards,

Skull Kid
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

You haven't explained anything about what's really going wrong or what you did before the problem occured.
Last edited by Swaffy on Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™
Senshi

Post by Senshi »

Two possible issues:

1) Your model has no col mesh. If it's a static mesh, there's a good chance you won't notice this except from the "walkthrough" because your object is fixed anyway. However, even objects without colmeshes can be collideable, as there's a way to make BF interpret the VIS mesh as a COL mesh. This is not recommended, but IIRC it's used for some very small and simple props (e.g. boxes) where the colmesh would be exactly the same as the vis mesh anyway.

2) It does have a col mesh, but it's faulty. Just reexport. Or try to reimport the exported .sm to figure out what the exporter produced. Make sure the .sm has the col mesh inside as well. Make sure the col mesh has proper Material IDs assigned. This probably is the better approach, as there absolutely has to be something off with your .sm file.
Skull Kid

Post by Skull Kid »

Senshi wrote:Two possible issues:

1) Your model has no col mesh. If it's a static mesh, there's a good chance you won't notice this except from the "walkthrough" because your object is fixed anyway. However, even objects without colmeshes can be collideable, as there's a way to make BF interpret the VIS mesh as a COL mesh. This is not recommended, but IIRC it's used for some very small and simple props (e.g. boxes) where the colmesh would be exactly the same as the vis mesh anyway.

2) It does have a col mesh, but it's faulty. Just reexport. Or try to reimport the exported .sm to figure out what the exporter produced. Make sure the .sm has the col mesh inside as well. Make sure the col mesh has proper Material IDs assigned. This probably is the better approach, as there absolutely has to be something off with your .sm file.
I see, thanks for your very helpful reply. It is also very strange... in the past... I used the 3ds -> .sm converter, also exported the .3ds from 3ds Max without a collision mesh.
Regards,

Skull Kid
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder »

Senshi wrote:...as there's a way to make BF interpret the VIS mesh as a COL mesh. This is not recommended, but IIRC it's used for some very small and simple props (e.g. boxes) where the colmesh would be exactly the same as the vis mesh anyway.
Please explain this in further detail. Of all the years I've been modding, I haven't heard about this. I don't know of any coding that does this. It would be quite interesting to try this on animated meshes since collision meshes can't be animated along with them. So if the game can actually use the visible mesh as the collision mesh, then that could be the method of making proper collision physics for an animated mesh. :D

Also to the OP, you may also need to check your coding for the object. If you have the "ObjectTemplate.hasCollisionPhysics" command missing or set to zero, then the object won't have collision physics. ;)
ImageImageImage
I have cameras in your head!
Skull Kid

Post by Skull Kid »

Apache Thunder wrote:
Senshi wrote:...as there's a way to make BF interpret the VIS mesh as a COL mesh. This is not recommended, but IIRC it's used for some very small and simple props (e.g. boxes) where the colmesh would be exactly the same as the vis mesh anyway.
Please explain this in further detail. Of all the years I've been modding, I haven't heard about this. I don't know of any coding that does this. It would be quite interesting to try this on animated meshes since collision meshes can't be animated along with them. So if the game can actually use the visible mesh as the collision mesh, then that could be the method of making proper collision physics for an animated mesh. :D

Also to the OP, you may also need to check your coding for the object. If you have the "ObjectTemplate.hasCollisionPhysics" command missing or set to zero, then the object won't have collision physics. ;)
I have indeed set the ObjectTemplate.hasCollisionPhysics to 1. But it won't help =(
Regards,

Skull Kid
Skull Kid

Post by Skull Kid »

PROBLEM SOLVED! The 3dsToSm.exe, was in version 0.2, which was the error! Upgraded the MDT to 2.75, and volia!
Regards,

Skull Kid