Producer needs help on Final Star Wars Mod bf1942 version

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
Renwood

Producer needs help on Final Star Wars Mod bf1942 version

Post by Renwood »

Hello BF1942 Fans and MODDERS!

I was and Alpha tester for version 4.3 - 5.0 and later after all the devs moved on to other things, i became the producer of an unfinished version of the star wars mod along with 1 or 2 other of the original DEVS. We worked to ad some of the unreleased maps that I had saved and fix bugs and add polish to create a "Finished" version of Galactic Conquest A.K.A The Star Wars Mod. Now I need a little help and guidance to help finish this version and make countless people's DREAMS of playing the Star Wars Mod again, and NOW with Tons of New players from the Origin free version of bf1942 we CAN MaKe IT HAPPEN!

As we all know, BF1942 is free now and millions of people have downloaded it so far. It is almost like when bf1942 first came out and servers are full again all over the place. There are tons of new players and LOTS of old veteran players returning as well.

One of the things that allways haunts me are the days spent playing Galactic Conquest the Star Wars Mod for BF1942.
Haunted by the SHEER AMOUNT OF FUN, and awesome gameplay and polish that this mod had. I have never seen in my 16 YEARS of playing multiplayer teambased games, as much teamwork and fun as in the star wars mod and the clans that played it.

This game took skill! You HAVE to learn how to...Land the aircraft!!! No parachutes so any noob CANT just bail out and float safely to the ground when you start shooting up them up in a dogfight to deny you a kill.

Myself, and just about anybody who ever played the star wars mod have said that "It was the best and most FUN multiplayer game I have ever played!" "Since It came out in 2003 untill even now in 2012 I have NOT found a game from any franchise that even comes close to how awesome GC was!"

So guys, dont take the AWESOME opportunity the free version of BF1942 and millions of new players get LOST on you how GREAT of an opportunity this is for Great mod from BF1942's past to LIVE AGAIN, bigger and better then ever!

I have the new version I have worked on, and just about every version of GC ever made, so I can pick and choose which versions of vehicles to include base on how polished they were. Sometimes, vehicles would be perfect and all the testers would agree, then somehow for an arbitrary reason some less skilled dev who is not as knowledgeable about gameplay balance would arbitrarily replace a vehicle or ruin its handling and it would get included in the new version, much to everybody esle's dismay.

Or there would be a map that was created to focus on close quarters pistol combat...Then a dev with no respect for the original designer's vision for the map, would put the heavy assault rifles and other weapons that were NOT meant to be included on the map all over the place, thus RUINING the entire flow and gameplay of the map. There are even hidden invisible vehicles placed by these misguided Devs that only they knew where to find, then they would get in them in game and fly around and murder people with what would be considered one of the worst HACKS ever. There are even LARGE areas on maps where there are healing zones for no reason, where you are unable to kill each other, even if you stand still and shoot each other with the heavy guns point blank. These zones were often right at the point of Major conflicts between the teams on a map, leading to people saying things like "WTF We shoot each other 1000 times and we dont DIE? LOL F THIS MOD! They would leave, never to be seen again. These kinds of poorly thought out changes to things all lead to a steady decline in people being happy with playing the star wars mod.

Now its almost 2013 NOBODY PLAYS THE STAR WARS MOD on ANY server for YEARS!
Help me change that, I have Great unreleased content, including never before seen outside the original Alpha tester team Maps (I was on the alpha team 2003-2004) Lots of bug fixes and polish and new vehicles and weapons.
There is one major problem, I was a producer and an alpha tester. So I left it to the people with knowledge for working with the editor and creating content to make the changes. I have a little hands on skill with the editor but not much. My skills are in the producer and project management roles.

Just about the most tricky thing I would like to learn how to do, is take vehicles from different versions of the Mod and put them into a new version.
The Millennium Falcon was the most polished and tested by all the dev team and alpha testers in version 5.0

Yet in 5.3 it was replaced with an untested P.O.S that people have said "Great now the Falcon flys like it has a giant metal pole stuck through it and its allways trying to fall over on its side!"

When creating a game, devs need to allways thing of gameplay balance first and foremost. And when you achieve great handling and polish and everybody thinks its pretty great, one thing must be kept in mind above all else at this point. And that is..IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT! Going backwards many steps in terms of quality and polish just to make a random change because you can, that is what plagued later version of Galactic Conquest after 5.0 The entire Dev team worked on version 5.0 but after that only a few devs remained, and sadly most people I have talked to agree they allways made changes for the worse. That fact nobody has played GC in many years is the testimate to this fact.

So I need YOUR help for the veteran BF1942 modding community. I only need help with instruction on a few aspects of things to release the biggest and best well polished, most well balanced and most importantly MOST FUN Star Wars game ever created in any game engine.

Please help bring Star Wars within bf1942 back to life! with bf1942 free and lots of new people, NOW IS THE TIME!

We will have an advanced marketing campaign, with social media, countless Large file uploading and downloading sites to post our new star wars Mod version, a youtube channel, lots of BF modding and fan websites we can use to promote and a FREE version of BF1942 that people can use to play the FREE mod we release, there has NEVER been a better time to create mods for BF1942!
We will use our teamspeak3 sever a lot to discuss things as well and to coordinate things.

It would also look great on a resume' or demo reel to show that you were part of a dev team that took a completely DEAD Mod, and brought it back to life with many thousands of players worldwide.

I have tested our current version of the star wars mod in the free origin version of bf1942 and it works perfectly.

Here is a link to another Project that I was executive producer and project manager on (Though I knew how to create every aspect of this game unlike my limited modding skills in BF1942) The project's funding was not successful, but the quality of content that our team produced speaks for itself.
Check it out I am the guy in the hat:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/myt ... ythstarter

I can be contacted at [email protected]

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

-Renwood A.k.A Michael Mars
Last edited by Renwood on Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diamondback

Re: Producer needs help on Final Star Wars Mod bf1942 versio

Post by Diamondback »

Renwood,

I was wondering if you would be interested in collaborating with my partner and me.
You may add me on Skype at mradidas92.
See my Strasbourg map project here.
Renwood

Post by Renwood »

I dont Skype, but I do use google voice and team speak 3 and I have a teamspeak server we can use.
Teamspeak and google voice are free as well.
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

I don't have a mic unfortunately, I would prefer if we communicate by text.
Renwood

Post by Renwood »

Well, Voice comms are the fastest way to communicate and the best way to work with teams on development projects, if you can not be in the same physical location that is. I have tried to work with text only before and it takes much longer to communicate ideas back and forth.

A form of voice communication is required to be involved in the project. Could you maybe pick up a mic soon?
I hope we can work together to get the best star wars game EVER made Back on the map!

-Renwood
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

Renwood,

As I do not currently own a mic (but should get one soon), I would like to communicate with you via Skype so we do not waste any time, if it is ok with you. My partner and I communicate via Skype for our project, and it works just fine.

Thank you and good day.
Renwood

Post by Renwood »

Thank you for your continued interest. You are very correct, there is no time to waste!

I will look into skype today and ad your user name on it. I have only used it to make phone calls and video chats in the past.
I need to locate the chat option and we can go from there.

Are there any links you can give me to previous works that your team has worked on?
How much experience do you have editing mods bf1942?

We will start with a ton of great content that just needs the finishing touches and polish, a few bug fixes and then we get compile a new release version and start to upload it and propagate it all over the net

Do you use Yahoo or gmail? They have a handy instant message system as well.

I am [email protected] and [email protected] if you wish to ad me.

-Renwood
Renwood

Post by Renwood »

O wait, I was just thinking, why dont we work on Origin with the instant messaging feature there? Since I am sure we allready both have that. You can find me on there as Renwood58th. I have just sent you a request on skype BTW.
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

That's good, thank you, I added you on Skype.
Shrooms

Post by Shrooms »

Galactic Conquest was one of the best mods years back. My favorite release was release 2.0. The team created a lot of hype and promotion for months and surely delivered the satisfaction. I disagree with the current design of tatooine I don't know why they made the map smaller so I hope you revert those changes. I"m curious to know what else was in plan for the mod that you know of.