HUGE favor....

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
GoodDayToDie!!

HUGE favor....

Post by GoodDayToDie!! »

Over at the Interstate 82 mod, I started work on a buddies "incomplete" map about 6 months ago.....

I have finished everything and It looks quite nice(compared to it's former self)

The only thing I can't do with ease is adding shadows! I textured this map in ED42 and I have learned the hard way that you can't generate shadows in BC42 after texturing in ED42.....

If anybody has the time and desire, could you please spank out some shadows for me :?: I will make sure your name gets added to the acknowledgements!!!

If interested, just let me know and I can send a link to the map.....

Thx for reading!!

cheers
Senshi

Re: HUGE favor....

Post by Senshi »

http://bfmods.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=125

Check that thread, there's the explanation on how to get the bf1942.exe (or bf1942_r.exe) to generate the shadows for you, as well as merging them afterwards. Batch-converting to tga as required can be done by many free tools (IrfanView etc.). Converting tga back to dds (not necessary, but good for game perfomance and filesize of the map) can be done with the handy DDS converter batch program I created: http://bfmods.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1 ... t=40#p8975
GoodDayToDie!!

Post by GoodDayToDie!! »

Thanks Sen, I had actually read that walk through already......guess I was looking for an "easy" way out:)

cheers
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

you can for sure use BC to render shadows..

an easy / no brainer route would be...

(download the attachment with this post)

this is simple.

- make a new map in BC.. same size as your map you are working on and call it anything - shadowbasemap for example. now save it.
- now generate just one surface map.. anywhere..
- now close BC and go to your 1942 install folder.. to \EA GAMES\Battlefield 1942\ShadowWork\bf1942\levels\ and now rename shadowbasemap folder to your actual real map name.
- now from your extracted ED42 map, copy all the TX DDS files to the textures folder (in the shadowwork/yourmapname/textures folder)
- now open the DDS to TGA tool in the attached file.
- use it convert all DDS textures to TGA and put the new TGA files into this same folder. ( you will need to overwrite one file that you made at the start)
- now delete the DDS files from that folder
- now open the real map in BC and it will allow you to create shadows like any normal BC Map
- once shadows are done you should 'merge terrain shadows'
- now the final step is to use the opposite tool - TGA to DDS. go to the 'merged' folder that has now appeared in your shadowwork/yourmapname/textures folder.
- use the TGA to DDS too to convert all to DDS.
- use these DDS files in your actual map, pack it up and should be good to go.
Attachments
texture split merge undxt etc.rar
(2.64 MiB) Downloaded 666 times
GoodDayToDie!!

Post by GoodDayToDie!! »

Thanks,

What if I already generated shadows in BC but did not merge? How does that change your steps? Cause that's what I did.

**SO I take it you guys don't have the desire to spank this out for a goodday? lololol**
GoodDayToDie!!

Post by GoodDayToDie!! »

That confused the hell outta me lol......I'll see what I can do...

It wants me to Generate Surface Maps....and that turns everything purple-.-

cheers
Senshi

Post by Senshi »

You should not need to generate surface maps. In BC42 that means the auto-generated terrain textures that are based on the material map. Can't help you any further, since the last time I used BC42 for ... anything... must have been 4-5 years ago...

Using the debugger for your jobs is really in no way more difficult. It's a 5-6 step tutorial I wrote for it. Follow it, use a single-line cmd command/shortcut/batch file and everything gets done for you.

And no, sorry, at least I'm not a big fan of just doing work for others, at least on elements that are well covered in tuts. After all you are here to learn :) . If you continue to have trouble, I'm more than glad to continue trying to help solve your issues.
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

have you now replaced the ed42 textures with BC textures?
GoodDayToDie!!

Post by GoodDayToDie!! »

Senshi wrote:You should not need to generate surface maps. In BC42 that means the auto-generated terrain textures that are based on the material map. Can't help you any further, since the last time I used BC42 for ... anything... must have been 4-5 years ago...

Using the debugger for your jobs is really in no way more difficult. It's a 5-6 step tutorial I wrote for it. Follow it, use a single-line cmd command/shortcut/batch file and everything gets done for you.
What is a single-line cmd command/shortcut/batch file?
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

GD, you could just paste your last post into Google.. :)

Gotta just try these things man.. then can get some help on the issues.. gotta be a plan?