Cannot open existing maps in Battlecraft 1942 (2.1)?

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
Skull Kid

Cannot open existing maps in Battlecraft 1942 (2.1)?

Post by Skull Kid »

Hi, I'm new here, well... not to Battlefield 1942, as I bought it here, in Sweden (where I also am born ^^) back in 2002 when it came out.

Well, I'll go straight to the problem.

This pops up for example when I'm trying to open any map in Battlecraft 1942 (2.1). I remember solving this once, but how I did, is a mystery...
Attachments
Error.jpg
Error.jpg (26.61 KiB) Viewed 12229 times
Regards,

Skull Kid
Skull Kid

Re: Cannot open existing maps in Battlecraft 1942 (2.1)?

Post by Skull Kid »

Black Mamba wrote:Oh that's nothing, just press on Close and go on, your level should open with no problem.
Are you sure? :? Kursk looks weird when I try to view the map...
Regards,

Skull Kid
Old Man River

Post by Old Man River »

You will need to go to fog settings under world on left side bar, double click fog to open and set fog ends to high setting like 1000 in most maps, or just opening philly first fixs it in mine dont know why, anyway the merk is gone and you can see map
Skull Kid

Post by Skull Kid »

Old Man River wrote:You will need to go to fog settings under world on left side bar, double click fog to open and set fog ends to high setting like 1000 in most maps, or just opening philly first fixs it in mine dont know why, anyway the merk is gone and you can see map
I see. Well the messages won't go away when I open Kursk, but thanks for the fog settings tip, it made the map al least visible.
Regards,

Skull Kid
Old Man River

Post by Old Man River »

I get that message every time with objects that are missing when I open a map, I just click close and it goes away then fix fog settings, just those objects will be missing ie like Caen bridge
Senshi

Post by Senshi »

The "lake" objects in question here are called as errors because they are only dummy objects. They are responsible for the sound effects around the lakes, that's all. As BC42 relies on premade object lists and does not just call every object that is in the objects.rfa/standardmesh.rfa, there always are some things missing (which is especially a huge pain when trying to map for mods). That's why Ed42 is suggested to be used for mods that don't have explicit BC42 files accompanying them.
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

Welcome to the site, Skull!
cajunwolf

Post by cajunwolf »

These are custom objects in the map and are as mentioned sound files. BC and BF have a visual object or static you use to place them in the maps, but you can use anything really. If this has been done they will show up once you add the maps to BC's config file like so ..

"OpenMODArchive=Mods\bf1942\Archives\bf1942\levels\map_name.rfa"

This will point BC to the custom object in the map. You will have to add them to the .lst file and I usually do it as a custom objects section. Now depending on what was used as a spawner will determine what will show up if anything. Sound files like this are created manually using a "LinePoint" system that surrounds the object like the Lake here and creates a Doppler effect on the sound. As you get closer it gets louder.

At the very least your error will go away and unless you need to see this it harms nothing to ignore it.

"When you're up to your butt in alligators, you forget your original intent was to drain the swamp!"
Skull Kid

Post by Skull Kid »

Thanks all for your help :D

Fo0k: Hey, was it you who made those videos of the Editor42 on YouTube? If so, you did help me TONS!
Regards,

Skull Kid