Problem with Battlecraft

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
Old Man River

Re: Problem with Battlecraft

Post by Old Man River »

When I tried opening xpack maps in battlecraft, I found I had to copy it into 1942 game folder with its maps, program found it, but all I got for my efforts was a EA warning something like it was copy right and EA didnt want them edited etc access denied :(
Had to do it by using fixed objects to get location and heights ie flag poles aa guns etc by trial and error place and look. took forever
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

Mamba, your issue does sound like the config is incorrect somewhere, either for BC or for the mod cfg file. should be simple to fix if its just not finding the files.

Old man, ed42 is your savior for that. any map can be loaded up into it.

cajunwolf

Post by cajunwolf »

First thing you do is backup all the stock maps in your xpack(s) in a separate directory somewhere else on the hard drive or any safe place. You will need them back in the directory if you want to ever play them online again. The fix will make them where you can't play on official servers and servers with punk buster. The folks on this site might have a workaround, I don't know yet. Just put a copy of them in a safe place just to be sure. ;)

What your going to do is to extract then re compress each map. This gets rid of the copyright issue and the maps will open fine in Battlecraft. A word of caution here, be profecient at using WinRfA & GUI_RfaPack to unpack and repack the maps and that you fully understand the bf42 directory structure. Both tools come with the MDT 2.75 Mod Tool Kit. You need to unpack the maps to the mod_name directory. When using GUI_RfaPack it will see the extracted maps in this default directory and give a drop down list. Be sure and tick the Compress box so you get original full compression. You can't get this compression with WinRFA. You can run both tools from console so my preferred method of use is in batch files. If you don't know what a batch file is or understand how to use them, then don't as they can be very hazardous to everything down to your operating system in the wrong hands. I have an excellent tutorial on both tools here;

Cajunwolf's WinRFA Tutorial

Cajunwolf's GUI_RfaPack Tutorial

Again, I urge you to always backup your stuff to protect you from an accidental short circuit between the keyboard and chair. ;)

I hope this has been helpful.

"When you're up to your butt in alligators, you forget your original intent was to drain the swamp!"
Skull Kid

Post by Skull Kid »

Me too have problems with this :( I cannot seem to open Secret Weapons of World War II maps, only The Road to Rome maps...
Regards,

Skull Kid
cajunwolf

Post by cajunwolf »

I found my solution to this problem, and it's something DwellerBenthos showed me many years ago. You have to create new RFA archives for them and point BC at these Archives. You maps will open no problem. I am short for time, but if someone will remind me i will post a tutorial on this, and Dweller's BC RFA files which are a separate archive with assembled vehicles, for example the tanks have turrets and tracks, the defgun is assembled, and the MG's are on their tripods. Very cool for those of you who haven't seen this.

"When you're up to your butt in alligators, you forget your original intent was to drain the swamp!"
Skull Kid

Post by Skull Kid »

cajunwolf wrote:I found my solution to this problem, and it's something DwellerBenthos showed me many years ago. You have to create new RFA archives for them and point BC at these Archives. You maps will open no problem. I am short for time, but if someone will remind me i will post a tutorial on this, and Dweller's BC RFA files which are a separate archive with assembled vehicles, for example the tanks have turrets and tracks, the defgun is assembled, and the MG's are on their tripods. Very cool for those of you who haven't seen this.
Yes, I have done this. But something must still be wrong... I will report back when I've done what you said =)
Regards,

Skull Kid
cajunwolf

Post by cajunwolf »

Kewl. Yep just make some new archives and point BC to them instead of the stock ones in the game.

Skull Kid

Post by Skull Kid »

cajunwolf wrote:Kewl. Yep just make some new archives and point BC to them instead of the stock ones in the game.
Hmm... strange... I got this when I had already unpacked and repacked the Multi-object.rfa...
Also got these... even after I had repacked the StandardMesh.rfa, texture.rfa and treeMesh.rfa:
Although I can have pointed the .cfg file to XPack2 to something wrong... I will check again and report back...
Regards,

Skull Kid
cajunwolf

Post by cajunwolf »

Let me know how you come out. I will try to get all my files up by the weekend for download.

GoodDayToDie!!

Post by GoodDayToDie!! »

Skull Kid wrote:
cajunwolf wrote:Kewl. Yep just make some new archives and point BC to them instead of the stock ones in the game.
Hmm... strange... I got this when I had already unpacked and repacked the Multi-object.rfa...
Also got these... even after I had repacked the StandardMesh.rfa, texture.rfa and treeMesh.rfa:
Although I can have pointed the .cfg file to XPack2 to something wrong... I will check again and report back...
Are you playing the Origin free version? If so, change EA GAMES in the path to Origin Games.