Problem with Battlecraft

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
cajunwolf

Re: Problem with Battlecraft

Post by cajunwolf »

Are you playing the Origin free version? If so, change EA GAMES in the path to Origin Games.
Oh good point GoodDayToDie, I hadn't thought of that, but I haven't really used my copy of the Origin free version. Something about an install problem or whatever so I haven't taken the time to fix it, but off hand I can't see why they would not work the same. Does BC work on the free copy of bf42? The only thing that comes to mind is that there is no "free version" of the xpacks yet, and perhaps the Origin copy is not supposed to open them.

Anyhow Skull Kid, here is what my cfg file looks like for xpack2 on my Win XPpro x64 machine (I noticed from your post you are on a x64 machine). Make sure your setup is the same, and make sure your main game path points to the C:\Program Files (x86)\EA Games\ directory, and not the C:\Program Files \EA Games\ one.
xpack2cfg.jpg

"When you're up to your butt in alligators, you forget your original intent was to drain the swamp!"
Skull Kid

Post by Skull Kid »

cajunwolf wrote:
Are you playing the Origin free version? If so, change EA GAMES in the path to Origin Games.
Oh good point GoodDayToDie, I hadn't thought of that, but I haven't really used my copy of the Origin free version. Something about an install problem or whatever so I haven't taken the time to fix it, but off hand I can't see why they would not work the same. Does BC work on the free copy of bf42? The only thing that comes to mind is that there is no "free version" of the xpacks yet, and perhaps the Origin copy is not supposed to open them.

Anyhow Skull Kid, here is what my cfg file looks like for xpack2 on my Win XPpro x64 machine (I noticed from your post you are on a x64 machine). Make sure your setup is the same, and make sure your main game path points to the C:\Program Files (x86)\EA Games\ directory, and not the C:\Program Files \EA Games\ one.
xpack2cfg.jpg
Dear Cajunwolf,

Actually, I purchased Battlefield 1942 back in 2002 ;), and somewhere in the mid-2000's, I purchased the WWII Anthology pack, which included the 2.0 MDT and Battlecraft 1942 2.1.
Regards,

Skull Kid
cajunwolf

Post by cajunwolf »

Kewl Skull Kid did you get it working? I will upload all my files to my web server this weekend which I should have done a long time ago.

"When you're up to your butt in alligators, you forget your original intent was to drain the swamp!"
Skull Kid

Post by Skull Kid »

cajunwolf wrote:Kewl Skull Kid did you get it working? I will upload all my files to my web server this weekend which I should have done a long time ago.
Hmm... I'm doubtful about that... but I'll take a look again...

EDIT: Nope... Battlecraft 1942 still gives me errors... about the objects.rfa, standardmesh.rfa, texture.rfa and treemesh.rfa... and then when trying to open, let's say, Eagle's Nest, Battlecraft 1942 crashes...

EDIT2: Maybe you could e-mail me the .cfg file of XPack2? That would be very kind of you =)
Regards,

Skull Kid
Skull Kid

Post by Skull Kid »

NOW it finally works... after comparing the XPack1.cfg file with the XPack2.cfg file, I found out that I had pointed Battlecraft 1942 wrong... but that's fixed now, thank GOD :D

Even though... Battlecraft 1942 just crashes when trying to open up Ealge's Nest :(...
Regards,

Skull Kid
cajunwolf

Post by cajunwolf »

Great news!

I was going to upload everything for you tonight. Still will though for others.

Remember that BC crashes when you have more than 7 control points, and I believe Eagle's Nest has 8. You will have to open it in ED42, or in the control points template rem out one of the CP's.

Seems like 1 or 2 more of the SW maps have 8 cp's.

Skull Kid

Post by Skull Kid »

cajunwolf wrote:Great news!

I was going to upload everything for you tonight. Still will though for others.

Remember that BC crashes when you have more than 7 control points, and I believe Eagle's Nest has 8. You will have to open it in ED42, or in the control points template rem out one of the CP's.

Seems like 1 or 2 more of the SW maps have 8 cp's.
Thanks a LOT Cajunwolf :D Also, I was wondering, why can't I see objects but just boxes in Editor42?
Regards,

Skull Kid
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

cajunwolf wrote:Remember that BC crashes when you have more than 7 control points, and I believe Eagle's Nest has 8.
So I can make a working map with 10 CPs if I wanted to? ;)
Poor AI will shrivel up and die I'm sure.
Skull Kid wrote:Thanks a LOT Cajunwolf :D Also, I was wondering, why can't I see objects but just boxes in Editor42?
The boxes show when Ed'42 doesn't load the standardMesh of the object. If you didn't extract the StandardMeshes from the game then your mod, it won't have a standardMesh to use for that object.

For the trees and other vegetation, you would have to download them from a file here. Just look at the modding tools thread to find the link.
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™
Skull Kid

Post by Skull Kid »

Ah, thanks Swaffy. The problem is, I had extracted the StandardMesh files... so, now what :?
Regards,

Skull Kid
cajunwolf

Post by cajunwolf »

What are the boxes? If you click on them in object mode it should tell you. Are they the trees? If so like Swaffy said you need to download the converted tree meshes. To properly setup a "bfswdev" you have to remember it is a mod of bf42 therefore depends on many of its static objects. I setup my mod dev folders by first extracting the bf42 archives then the mod archives allowing over writes on common files. Another thing is if a map has custom objects you have to add those to your dev folder object, standardmesh, and texture archives. Raid on Angelia is an example of this.

First off find out what the objects that are not showing up.

Another thing to remember is ED42 will crash at times when you have a object spawner with a spawn-able for one team only, just add something to the other team to solve this issue.

Swaffy,

By theory you can have 8 cp's in bf42, and for the life of me I cannot understand why, why would they not let BC have more than 7. It is so stupid it just hurts my head. Anyhow I have done 8 cp maps, but they are a pain in the butt besides bots don't play them well unless they are all real close together. It's a spreading of the resources thing, and it gets bad on larger maps. I can tell you this though, and that is you can have more. When I was doing AI for DCX (and they screwed it all up on last release, sigh all that work) one of the mappers, forget his name at the moment (he was one of their favorite turds), had built a map with 10 cp's and it worked fine in MP, but was a issue for the AI. I made it work, but because of the number of cp's, and the fact they were spread out on a medium map made their performance only half assed. The map was never released which is a good thing because it was a crappy map to begin with.