Making a FOV mod

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
Psycho

Making a FOV mod

Post by Psycho »

Hello everybody.
I am wondering, if it is possible to make a mod for BF1942 that sole purposse is to change the overall FOV in the game.
I have this FOVfix that allows different fov for different resolutions and screen configurations. But since it is a hacked exe, it have its problems using it.
So making a fov mod for standard bf42 would be a better way to solve the problem.
So if anybody have ideas about this, feel free to share them:).
I want to live in a created universe. Virtual reality, here I come.
fo0k

Re: Making a FOV mod

Post by fo0k »

So you can change the fov globally in mods/bf1942/settings/VideoDefault.con

I assume you are aware of that for starters? :)
Psycho

Post by Psycho »

yes I remember that now, but you cant like, set fov 130 with that if I remember right.. or?
And how does that work if you play network and different clients have different fov?
Psycho

Post by Psycho »

fo0k wrote:So you can change the fov globally in mods/bf1942/settings/VideoDefault.con

I assume you are aware of that for starters? :)
Have now tested different fov settings in videodefault.con. And that setting can't handle 3072x768 it seems. But if I use the special exe I have it looks great.
Can be that "renderer.fieldOfView" only affects horisontal fov or something. And that may be enough for a ordinary widescreen monitor.

Found some information about this problem: http://www.widescreengaming.net/wiki/Battlefield_1942

Guess it is some "hard coded" aspect ratios in the game engine.
Senshi

Post by Senshi »

You can set the FOV in VideoDefault.con to whatever you want. If you want to really get seasick, set it to 25 and then try to take a flight on Wake Island or similar. The FOV can be set as desired, it's a simple float value, ranging from 0 to infinite. Values higher than 50 (IIRC) however cause an utter fail, as the FOV is no longer in physically possible boundaries, causing weird things like an inverted screen, LOD range issues (mipmaps) etc. I assume the same happens for ultra-widescreen (3monitor etc.), because this would require a FOV way too large. And BF42 was never intended for such extreme widths.
Psycho

Post by Psycho »

Senshi wrote:You can set the FOV in VideoDefault.con to whatever you want. If you want to really get seasick, set it to 25 and then try to take a flight on Wake Island or similar. The FOV can be set as desired, it's a simple float value, ranging from 0 to infinite. Values higher than 50 (IIRC) however cause an utter fail, as the FOV is no longer in physically possible boundaries, causing weird things like an inverted screen, LOD range issues (mipmaps) etc. I assume the same happens for ultra-widescreen (3monitor etc.), because this would require a FOV way too large. And BF42 was never intended for such extreme widths.
Just thought it may be possible to solve that problem with a mod, since someone managed to change the exe so it works properly. In fact it is one of the best tripplehead solutions I've seen in a game.
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

well you could certainly add fov settings for the player and pco's.

On this subject, I saw (probably one of you guys) a video of 1942 on a widescreen but the HUD retained aspect ratio and was situated in the middle of the screen.

How is this done?
freddy

Post by freddy »

fo0k wrote: On this subject, I saw (probably one of you guys) a video of 1942 on a widescreen but the HUD retained aspect ratio and was situated in the middle of the screen.

How is this done?
yeah it was one of Psycho´s vids. been meaning to ask this to. the normal way of stretching to fit a wide screen makes me dizzy.
Psycho

Post by Psycho »

To get the right aspect ratio and correct fov I use these hacked bf1942.exe http://chr79.free.fr/matrox/

It is not a "nocd crack" So you will need the right patch (of course) and the cd.

It will chose a fov automaticly though. It also corrrct the weapons look.

And I'm happy to in some way contribute in this forum.:)
freddy

Post by freddy »

Thanks! now i got a good reason to get me some more monitors :)

gött!