Which Photoshop? [Using for ".dds" editing]

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
freddy

Post by freddy »

i know i had some small free program to convert pics that worked in bf42, one could save as DXT3 or 5 both worked i think. cant remember its name now but it was simple but got the job done. i think it is a thread somewhere about this kinda stuff in the old forum where i posted the name of the program to . also there is gimp but dont remember if it have the function that you seek.
Swaffy

Re: Which Photoshop? [Using for ".dds" editing]

Post by Swaffy »

GIMP 2 was the first program I began using. But it sucks because it doesn't save MIP Maps. It only edits and saves ".dds" files without MIP Maps.
So I turned to torrenting Photoshop. Ps works just fine with the DDS plugin, so it's not the program [plus, I already edited a skin previously and that one worked.]

Here's the image if you want it. I attached it as a "Rawr!" file.
Attachments
SilencerFiles.rar
Texture DDS
(137.72 KiB) Downloaded 659 times
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™
freddy

Post by freddy »

found this in the old forum, dunno if it helps
Just be sure the new textures you make have a resolution that is a power of two. For example:

Square Resolutions:
32x32
128x128
256x256
512x512

Rectangle (Wide) Resolutions:
16x32
128x256
512x1024
Handicap

Re:

Post by Handicap »

freddy wrote:i know i had some small free program to convert pics that worked in bf42, one could save as DXT3 or 5 both worked i think. cant remember its name now but it was simple but got the job done. i think it is a thread somewhere about this kinda stuff in the old forum where i posted the name of the program to . also there is gimp but dont remember if it have the function that you seek.
Swaffy wrote:GIMP 2 was the first program I began using. But it sucks because it doesn't save MIP Maps. It only edits and saves ".dds" files without MIP Maps.
So I turned to torrenting Photoshop. Ps works just fine with the DDS plugin, so it's not the program [plus, I already edited a skin previously and that one worked.]

Here's the image if you want it. I attached it as a "Rawr!" file.
I use GIMP with DDS Converter 2 to create textures for my 3D stuff whenever I need to use the dds-format. The GIMP dds-plugin can actually generate and save mipmaps, but the plugin I currently use creates weird green artifacts on your pic so I don't use it for production quality. The free DDS Converter 2 can convert the most common files to and from dds easily. It has a wide range of different parameters for the conversion (mipmaps, format, alpha, dithering) and can convert files en masse. The GUI is a bit awkward and you must restart the program after conversion, but it hasn't let me down yet.

E: I just checked (and downloaded) a new version of the GIMP plugin, released last december or something. The artifact-bug might have been resolved. It also has better support for mipmap filters and mipmap gamma correction capability.
Swaffy

Re:

Post by Swaffy »

freddy wrote:found this in the old forum, dunno if it helps
Just be sure the new textures you make have a resolution that is a power of two. For example:

Square Resolutions:
32x32
128x128
256x256
512x512

16x32
128x256
512x1024
Yep, that was the problem. Sometimes I don't understand just how picky BF1942's engine can be.
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™
Handicap

Re: Re:

Post by Handicap »

Swaffy wrote:
freddy wrote:found this in the old forum, dunno if it helps

Square Resolutions:
32x32
128x128
256x256
512x512

16x32
128x256
512x1024
Yep, that was the problem. Sometimes I don't understand just how picky BF1942's engine can be.
Yes, the DDS-format has a quite good size-quality -ratio, but it requires the dimensions to be powers of two for rendering(?) and compression algorithms. No matter what the engine, the dds-format always requires those dimensions.