New to modding

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
tonyd927

New to modding

Post by tonyd927 »

Hey all, myself and a few friends are planning a mod for battlefield 1942 as we are trying to get into the games industry. It will be very loosely based off of The Walking dead type battles without the zombies.

[Prepare for a wall of text]

We want it to be a post-apocalyptic shooter where most combat is very urban and room to room.
The cities will be New England-like in nature with tall brick apartment buildings with shops on the first floor to give the feel of the Walking dead.
Rather than taking flags we wanted to script actual objectives.

The kits (Say..the US kits for example) would be character names, and each character would look different, have different abilities (sprint, snipe, jumping, climbing) and perks, and of course a different weapon loadout.

We want the loadouts to be based on whats on the market for police and civilians today, like different pistols and light semi auto machine guns.

My questions are:

How do I import/export building, weapon, character and vehicle models from 3DS Max 2010 into Battlefield 1942?
How do I create textures and different character traits (physical)?

Thanks!
Swaffy

Re: New to modding

Post by Swaffy »

Modding this game isn't something you can just jump right in and begin to do. Though you have great enthusiasm as I see, you must learn the capabilities of the game engine so that you can begin to work around it.

First off, please look at the Basic Tutorials section at the top-right of the screen. It's a link to a place than can help you get started.

Second, doing simple forum searches can help you find out solution to questions that were already asked. This website is loaded with random questions, so please look for the solution and try to do the modification yourself before coming to ask us how to do something.

Peace out, have fun.
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™
cajunwolf

Post by cajunwolf »

The 3D max import tool is in the Battlefield MDT ver 2.75. It's not for 3Dmax 2010 but might work. If not I am sure someone here has a import tool for the newr versions of Max or do an internet search. I know modders doing BF2 and using newer versions of Max are import - exporting bf1942 models.

You can get a copy of the MDT from my site here as you will need it to work with bf42 or bfv. It contains WinRFA and GUI_RfaPack which you will need to unpack and pack archives. It has tools to automat creating your mod, a must have tool kit.

If you plan to have AI in your maps, you will need special instructions on map layouts and other things to make the bots work right.

I will be putting up some mapping tutorials also and you might be interested in checking them out.

As mentioned by Swaffy, use good board etiquette by searching, but do not hesitate to ask questions. Sometimes you might need to know what to search for right? ;)

L8trz

Cajunwolf

"When you're up to your butt in alligators, you forget your original intent was to drain the swamp!"
Senshi

Post by Senshi »

How often do I keep having to mention it? I did update the MDT (labeled 2.76), it's retrievable in the Modding Tools section and it works fine on Max 8 through 13. It also has integrated support for the entire Rexman script set, which is necessary for level import/export and lightmapping. Not sure how I can promote it better than having it in the appropiate section of this forum..l.
cajunwolf

Post by cajunwolf »

Does anybody besides me feel like they just had their butt chewed out? :oops:

We are guilty as charged Senshi for not first searching for resources ...

"When you're up to your butt in alligators, you forget your original intent was to drain the swamp!"
Senshi

Post by Senshi »

That was entirely not my intention, it's just that I really had to mention this in a dozen of threads before. The question is honest, I'm really not sure how to raise the "profile" of that MDT version, as it's quite a common question about having a MDT for newer Max versions.
cajunwolf

Post by cajunwolf »

I was just making a joke to lighten the situation Senshi, but I truly understand your plight first hand. I can name another common question and that would be how to properly pack a map. I wrote this very complete and noob prof WinRFA tutorial and am always having to direct people to it, though it's posted everywhere. You do raise a good question and I have a solution of sort. I will be upgrading my site soon so I will link to from there under my tools section. I will do the same over at bfsp under out tools and modding sections. As to here, any time the occasion arises during one of my post I will be sure to mention it.

cajunwolf

Post by cajunwolf »

Actually Senshi, it's not listed unless I am missing something. All I see is the MDT 2.75 so this could have something to do with the problem.

Senshi

Post by Senshi »

You're right, I stand corrected. I really thought fook had updated the list already. Will do that right away.
cajunwolf

Post by cajunwolf »

Hey now you know and problem solved. Batting 100 so far right?

If you get a chance have a look at my post on the "smallones" and see if you have any input, questions, or additional material. I need the feed back.