HUGE favor....

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
GoodDayToDie!!

Re: HUGE favor....

Post by GoodDayToDie!! »

Thanks you guys, I really appreciate your feedback.....I'm generating shadows now, (luckily I have this fine laptop to keep me busy in the mean time:) I'll let yall know how she fairs.....I'm attempting foOk's explanation....
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

shout if probs :)
GoodDayToDie!!

Post by GoodDayToDie!! »

Something's not right here...

1st off, after the shadows generated and I merged terrain shadows, only a small portion of the map had any shadows on the terrain and objects(that terrain was also switched back to BC terrain). The rest of the land looks the same as it did before I started the shadow process...

2nd-ly, I looked in the new Merged folder in ShadowWorks and there are only 12 TX tga files....Shouldn't there be a lot more?

I'm sad... :(
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

Just to blindly attempt in helping ...

Would it have anything to do with the map size? If you're using a batch file, see if there's a setting for that.
It sounds like the shadow generator is only reading a certain map size (in this case, your map is larger), and everything past that isn't read.

rem ----- [World Size Info] -----
4x4 - 1024x1024
8x8 - 2048x2048
16x16 - 4096x4096
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™
GoodDayToDie!!

Post by GoodDayToDie!! »

Swaffy wrote:Just to blindly attempt in helping ...

Would it have anything to do with the map size? If you're using a batch file, see if there's a setting for that.
It sounds like the shadow generator is only reading a certain map size (in this case, your map is larger), and everything past that isn't read.

rem ----- [World Size Info] -----
4x4 - 1024x1024
8x8 - 2048x2048
16x16 - 4096x4096
Hey Swaffster...

They're the same size.....I'm sure on that.....I don't think I'm using a batch file......
GoodDayToDie!!

Post by GoodDayToDie!! »

fo0k wrote:shout if probs :)

SHOUT!!! :o
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

soo..

it sounds a bit like you have remade the textures in BC?

if not, and just using ed42 textures.. then my guide will work for you.. but maybe you have not followed quite right? The only reason we are generating any surface maps in BC (well, 1 map) is to 'trick' BC into allowing you to generate shadows on the ed42 textures.
GoodDayToDie!!

Post by GoodDayToDie!! »

No I did not remake textures in BC, I followed your directions yes....I admit this is pretty pathetic of me not being able to grasp this....I've yet to evolve as a modder lol...

cheers
cajunwolf

Post by cajunwolf »

You need to surfacemap the area of the map you want to shadow, so make sure you do that first. These files will end up in the shadowworks folder and they will be tga tiles. If you texture with ed42, you will have to manually make these tga tiles from the maps texture .dds tiles. If all of your terrain is not shadowed, check and see if you have a full set of shadowwork tiles in the maps shadowwork folder. Next is to check the tiles you want to shadow in the box with the grid that pops up when you select generate terrain shadows. Only the ones selected will get shadows.

"When you're up to your butt in alligators, you forget your original intent was to drain the swamp!"
GoodDayToDie!!

Post by GoodDayToDie!! »

The came out awesome with the final result of Reegad(bless ur soul) handling the shadows(I really tried gents, and there are plenty more maps in my future), I can't officially say this thread is done or solved do to the fact that I still don't have my barrings straight on shadows in this regard.....At any rate, here's a picture of the map in the News Post section at is82.com
http://is82.com/news.php?item.498