Ripping airplanes from HAWX.

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
Psycho

Ripping airplanes from HAWX.

Post by Psycho »

I stumbled over something interesting on the net yesterday.
http://www.facepunch.com/threads/720180

This is very interesting, I wonder if it would be possible to convert those models to BF1942. Anyone thought about this or done this?
From what i understand it would be possible for a experienced 3Dmodeller.

I have this idea about making a mod or map set in the cold war, and in HAWX almost all relevant planes exist.

I allready extracted the files from HAWX if anyone want to have a go on this. If you have the game, just use this password extracting the "PAK"files:
Hawx1
rF4hfGe1PfrzGe3IbaRtWsIn

Hawx2
pF5hfGe2TfrbGe8IzaRtXsIm
I want to live in a created universe. Virtual reality, here I come.
fo0k

Re: Ripping airplanes from HAWX.

Post by fo0k »

Have ripped so many cars over the years.. Never thought about planes!
If it can be got into 3dmax then it can certainly be used in 1942.
I could help on the max side of things to get the model ready for '42
Psycho

Post by Psycho »

fo0k wrote:Have ripped so many cars over the years.. Never thought about planes!
I also found this link about how to import 3dmodels from sketchup:
http://forums.devshed.com/game-developm ... 19710.html
And there are a lot free models made by fans in sketchup.

I think i have to make some preliminary design synopsis for a cold war scenario before begin to convert vehicles and so on.
Though i lived all my life a few kilometers from F7 airbase here in sweden I have to make som research to determin what airplanes that is most important.
Psycho

Post by Psycho »

fo0k wrote:Have ripped so many cars over the years.. Never thought about planes!
I found a SAAB JA37 viggen made in sketchup, and succéeded converting it to 3ds.
Had to prepare the model by grouping the proper things Like rudders, wings and under carriage.
Wheels and some stuff I had to model my self, because it was a flying model.
The texturing is somewhat boring aluminium look. But I found a texture someone made for another model.

So if your up for it I can put up a link for the files.
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

Post it up and I can get it ready for BF.. Not modded a plane before but I guess just swap the meshes around and tweak the position should get it flying. I can at least get you the models in correct format to slot in. I would say though that a model with texture is needed.. I'm not the man for texturing planes :)
Psycho

Post by Psycho »

fo0k wrote:Post it up and I can get it ready for BF.. Not modded a plane before but I guess just swap the meshes around and tweak the position should get it flying. I can at least get you the models in correct format to slot in. I would say though that a model with texture is needed.. I'm not the man for texturing planes :)
Here is two planes. J35 Draken and JA 37 Viggen.
http://up.ht/zW4Ehh

When I converted them from sketchup I noticed that groups apperantly wont survive the process. I hope the files will work for you.
I included all files I had for the planes, just in case.
Maybe you have to adjust the meshes, since I'm new at this and maybe made some misstakes, maybe tom much polys or something hehe, or to little:).

Next I will prepare and texture two soviet planes, when I have time;).
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

well the models look good and textures are all setup. There are a few issues with the mesh here and there which may have happened during export.
I don't know to what extent you understand 3d modelling but the normals are off in places.. meaning parts of the mesh face the wrong way. solution is basically to swap them round... but its not always quite as easy as this.

However, its got nice detail with a low poly count which is the main thing.

It's a good few hours work so I just need to find a good moment and thay may not happen this week.

If anyone else feels they have time to look at this model then please do! But otherwise I think next weekend will be a lot better for me to take a look :)
Psycho

Post by Psycho »

fo0k wrote:well the models look good and textures are all setup. There are a few issues with the mesh here and there which may have happened during export.
I don't know to what extent you understand 3d modelling but the normals are off in places.. meaning parts of the mesh face the wrong way. solution is basically to swap them round... but its not always quite as easy as this.

However, its got nice detail with a low poly count which is the main thing.

It's a good few hours work so I just need to find a good moment and thay may not happen this week.

If anyone else feels they have time to look at this model then please do! But otherwise I think next weekend will be a lot better for me to take a look :)
Normals?? LOL. I reqognize that word, but not from google sketchup I think:).

The TU22 backfire are also almost finished texturing. (and I have loads of scripting ideas for that plane hehe).

And, the orange texture inside the viggen engine, please remove that;) I hade forgotten that.
I also just now made a RB04e antiship missile for the JA37 viggen.

I was thinking, Isn't it better if I break apart the model? Separate gears, rudders and stuff. In the end they will be separated anyway.
But its your call:).
I can even put them in different files if it makes it easier, its not much work for me doing it.

And I have decided to not make a new map or mod (for now). Instead I will customize Battle for Britain, for this scenario.
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

I guess breaking it down is a painless task really once the whole model is ready so I find its best to get things exactly as you want them in one piece then break it down.

dropping it into BOB would be a much easier way to test it all out :)

also, have you done any searching to see if these have been converted for Bf already (not specifically the HAWX models)? just a thought!
Psycho

Post by Psycho »

fo0k wrote:I guess breaking it down is a painless task really once the whole model is ready so I find its best to get things exactly as you want them in one piece then break it down.

dropping it into BOB would be a much easier way to test it all out :)

also, have you done any searching to see if these have been converted for Bf already (not specifically the HAWX models)? just a thought!
The only plane I seen mentioned when talking about battlefield is MIG25 foxbat, in desert conflict. (BF2 i guess??).
Draken, Viggen and Backfire seems never been made for battlefield.

Can I convert planes from BF2 to BF1942? And if so, is it easy?