what-if infantry kits

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
dudejo

what-if infantry kits

Post by dudejo »

i've been thinking about alternate kits for the infantry classes based on vanilla BF1942 equipment

Sniper :

Knife
Pistol
Sniper Rifle
Land Mines
TNT

Assault :

Knife
Pistol
Rifle
Grenade

Anti-Tank :

Knife
Pistol
Rocket Launcher
Machine Gun

Medic :

Knife
Pistol
Med-Kit
Binoculars
Grenade

Engineer :

Knife
Pistol
SMG
Grenade
Wrench

the way i see it, the Medic and Engineer were the primary go-to classes. one had infinite healing and an assault weapon while the other had all sorts of weaponry.

now the Assault can actually hit something, the Sniper can fill stealth roles that actually matter, the Medic is no longer a super-assault class, the Anti-Tank can actually defend himself and the Engineer makes more sense.
mrhowdoimodClassic

Re: what-if infantry kits

Post by mrhowdoimodClassic »

Sure, it's a clever idea. But modding doesn't matter much anymore unless you're in a team with a dedicated goal or you're only interested in Co-op play. So sure you can do it Client side, for yourself or maybe a few friends you pass the mod too. But otherwise it's not going anywhere, and it all comes back to you thinking out loud.

But anyways, I mean not to be rude at all! I see it's you're first post and I welcome you to the community! Though I don't know if you were a long time lurker or poster on SSM.com, my apologies if you are.

If you do have any questions on how to achieve these kits just let me know, otherwise, it just seems like you're thinking out loud.
dudejo

Post by dudejo »

are the infantry kits "core" or would i have to modify every map?
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

Its a simple enough mod to make but the same patch would need to be applied to each map, unless you released a mod as such. The setups do appear more balanced at a glance.
Welcome to the site!
dudejo

Post by dudejo »

is the necessary documentation in the tutorials section of this site?

it's good to know it's a fairly basic mod to try. i know it's not an epic project like Forgotten Hope but i figure it'd be nice if there were decent-sounding mods that AREN'T over 4 gigs in size.

and now that i think about it, maybe the Engineer should keep his land mines instead of getting grenades. the SMG is a powerful weapon because of its low recoil and good accuracy. it would also look less like the Assault.
dudejo

Post by dudejo »

so far, i found the kit templates in Objects.rfa

i tried changing stuff around but all that happens is game crash on level load.

i can erase items from the templates but not replace them.
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

I'm not the kits pro to be honest but Apache may be able to highlight whats needed.
The 'simple enough' comment was made with confidence but not the exact skills. ;)
freddy

Post by freddy »

if you look at your AT for example, i belive the Rocket Launcher and the Machine Gun have the same itemindex. that needs a fix to if you not have changed it already.
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder »

Correct. You are getting CTDs because you are putting weapons with the same item index on the same kit. The Item Index tells the game what "slot" the weapon is. For example index 3 is the 3 key on your keyboard and putting a weapon on that makes it activate when you press the 3 key. If you have two weapons with the same index on the same kit, the game can't decide which one to use and spits out an error.

You will need to modify the item Index of the handweapons to make them unique to the new kits in respect to the other weapons on the kit. You might end up having to clone weapons if you use one weapon on two or more other kits, but on different indexes per kit. But a quick glance over your post doesn't have any popping out as being on different kits but different slots. Just edit the item Index setting on all your handweapons to reflect where you want them to be selection wise and as long as you avoid index conflicts, you will be fine. Also note you are limited to 6 handweapons per kit. However having more then 6 requires a modification to the control map coding and the ingame meme file (the menu files) to make the new slots usuable. But you probably won't need that in this case.
ImageImageImage
I have cameras in your head!
dudejo

Post by dudejo »

it makes sense.

especially if i put Forgotten Hope's odd item slot organization into context.

thanks a lot for the explanation.

although with this in mind, i'll have to re-think the gear distribution a little...

plus, i was thinking my proposed Medic might be a little boring over time with only grenades as their real damage option.

maybe i'll just leave them with the bolt-action rifle.