set up map in 3ds max

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
reegad

set up map in 3ds max

Post by reegad »

Howdy, i kno i've found a thread about this somewhere.. can't remember where.. anyone got link? if not, heres is what i need.

1. import heightmap to 3dsmax
2. export heightmap back to 1942
3. export statics from 3dsmax with the right coordinates to fit the heightmap.
Senshi

Re: set up map in 3ds max

Post by Senshi »

Search for rexan's Bf toolkit /scripts
If you want to work with Max8-13 use my updated version of the MDT (search bfmods.com for "BFMDT 2.76").
reegad

Post by reegad »

Ok ill use the rex tools to import heightmap, but how do i convert the coordinates of static objects from 3dsmax to 1942?

Lets say i have a model of a gas station, i want to place this in 3dsmax, how do i export the COORDINATES for this? 0/0/0 in bf42 map isnt same as 0/0/0 in 3dsmax
I place the gas station on the heightmap (in 3dsmax) and want to convert both the heightmap and gas station, but keep the coordinates..
Senshi

Post by Senshi »

I don't think an export static object position function exists in the rexman scripts or my MDT. There simply has never been a need for it.
For someone that has a bit of knowledge of MaxScript (or any scripting language, really) it should be easy to take a look at the "import position" script and just reverse it. It's mostly number-crunching, after all.

Why don't you just use Ed42/BC42 to place the statics like everyone else?
reegad

Post by reegad »

because im using 3dsmax to generate shadows.
And yes, there is a export staticobjects.con :) works like a charm.
Senshi

Post by Senshi »

I use 3ds max as well to generate shadows, but I just place everything in Ed42/BC42, then import the terrain and the staticobjects into 3dsMax, then use "File->Import->Replace" and replace all the dummy objects with their valid counterparts from my object library .max files. Voila, everything ready to generate. There's no need to export terrain or statics afterwards, as the shadow files are entirely separate for objects and the shadowed terrain textures are stored separately as well (Tx files...).

But glad it worked for you. As in most cases, many ways lead to Rome.
reegad

Post by reegad »

hehe yeah :p
I wanted to place them in MAX to generate lightmaps on the objects as well, to get higher res lightmaps, and with max i can get more accurate object placements as well.
cajunwolf

Post by cajunwolf »

By the way there was a tool long ago and I think it was "Presidents BF import tool" or something like that, and I had a copy and lost it. Never found another copy to date. He had a tutorial and there was one on Merciless Creations as well on how to import your map and statics into Max for shadows and lightmaps. It was ok, but I never saw a real advantage over using battlecraft - bf1942.exe's ray trace. You can adjust these settings by the way and using a two run method get just as good of shadow and light-mapping with half the time and trouble. The only real advantage I found in using Max was the ability to add and adjust back lighting. Now of course Max certainly owns at Lightmapping the static objects. I am sure we can all agree on this. I guess the decision would be does the end justify the means.

All that being said I just have to disagree with using Max to place your statics. Battlecraft owns at this and ED42 is a close second, hands down. I started out with the first versions of ED42 and Mad Bulls Heightmap Editor and migrated to the newer BC 1.45 to 2.1. Ed42 to the latest versions. In the very early days of modding the game prior to these editors coming out, I was able to place statics with Max, would never go back to that pain in the behind. I mean when your \getting near 2000 statics it's really nice the way BC manages them for you. As to the accuracy, I see no way that Max would be any more accurate than ED42 or BC.

But as Fo0k mentioned "As in most cases, many ways lead to Rome."

L8trz,

Cajunwolf

"When you're up to your butt in alligators, you forget your original intent was to drain the swamp!"
GoodDayToDie!!

Post by GoodDayToDie!! »

cajunwolf wrote:
But as Fo0k mentioned "As in most cases, many ways lead to Rome."

L8trz,

Cajunwolf
That was Senshi -.-
cajunwolf

Post by cajunwolf »

Ooops ... my bad .. I think some Brandy might have spilled into my coffee, I do need to move that bottle someday. :mrgreen:

I stand corrected, thank you sir.

"When you're up to your butt in alligators, you forget your original intent was to drain the swamp!"