Hello!

Introduce yourself and check the rules ;)
K-T

Hello!

Post by K-T »

Hi all. I've been playing BF1942 on and off with my family since the 2000s, and I've developed a keen interest in modding it in the last year or so. I realize I'm a bit late getting on the modding train now in 2021, so I'm glad there are still places like this that I can learn from. So far, I've spent a few months fiddling with replacing sound effects and tweaking stuff like weapon damage, view distances, vehicle attributes, and kit composition, but what I'm really looking forward to is making new animations for the infantry weapons.

I'm currently working through a couple different beginner series on YouTube for 3DS Max (I'm using version 8), and it's been a hell of a lot of fun, though I'm still a very long way off from being able to animate well (or at all, really). If anyone has any favorite resources that helped them learn, I'm very interested in suggestions. I get the unfortunate impression that a lot of 1942 modding knowledge has disappeared off the publicly accessible internet over the years. I'd definitely be curious to hear if there's anyone else out there that's also starting from square one this damn late.

Anyway, thanks y'all. See you around.
Diamondback

Re: Hello!

Post by Diamondback »

Hello K-T and welcome to the forums!

I'm glad you are showing an interest in weapons animations. This is an area of BF1942 modding that is still a big mystery to me, and I think to a lot of people. I'd like to add custom animations to my mod someday.

The modder ziba added really cool vehicle entry animations to his FHR mod. You can watch them here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB9mPJI6cW0. I think he would be a great person to talk to to get more information on weapons animation. There was also a modder called Senshi who created a few tutorials on weapons animations on YouTube. I don't really know where these are, but a search on the forums could help you find his tutorials.

Cheers,

Diamondback
See my Strasbourg map project here.
Crash42modder

Post by Crash42modder »

Hi.

There are 3 types of modding.

1) Client side. Modding a single map (this is my focus). This is client side. In otherwords I create or modify an existing map like berlin or whatever and then you have to download the map, copy it into the relative folder in battlefield1942 and play it on your computer or online with me etc. My expertise is texturing vehicles and weapons. As can be seen here.
https://team-simple.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7742

2) Server side. This mostly involves a person that runs an online server making minimal changes to a map that you and I and other players do not have to download. For example the turbo jeeps on El AL Emain map at AX server.

3). Creating a standalone Mod. I'd imagine editing weapons animations most likely works best in this way, others can correct me if I'm wrong. Ive managed to fiddle with some animations in a single map (as above see point 1), but I didnt create anything, I just added stuff other people made so I thnk it might also be possible to just add animations to pre-existing maps.

Here is some texturing work I recently did on the german medic submachine gun.Image
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

Did you make any new maps recently Crash?
See my Strasbourg map project here.