In order to streamline the information process, I decided to open this thread in order to concentrate any feedback and discussions here.
In addition to merely working on compatibility, I added several small fixes and new features that - while not being spectacular - should make everyone's life a bit easier.
- Batch import of StandardMesh (just point the MDT to a folder and it imports all .sm it can find there) : This is great for building object libraries.
- Every setting is saved now. No longer do you have to re-check the very same box every time you have to do some repetitive tasks (debugging with trial&error, anyone?)
- Level handling : The entire set of scripts from the ancient Rexman tools that allow to import entire textured terrains and all static object placements into 3ds Max. Great for advanced lightmapping and various light effects.
- .ske/.skn handling
- .baf import/export
- .tm import/export
Confirmed not working:
- Vehicle import - This will NEVER be included, sorry! In the last release(s) of the MDT, DICE switched to a different method of packing the MDT files, so the vehicle function which was added very late is completely binary and I'm unable to fix this function without having to rewrite the entire function from scratch. A shame, but nothing to be done about it unless I get the source files...
What I need:
Please test the tools a bit with various settings. Currently I'm looking for all feedback, that means even statements like "I exported XY.sm with these settings [...] and it worked fine" are much appreciated. Current focus is on:
- .sm export tool
- the features above listed as "not tested"
- What version of 3ds Max do you use?
- What function did you try?
- What settings did you use with that function?
- If an error occurs, describe what went wrong.
- If the MDT provides you with an error message, please provide me that as well.
Even more helpful would be the log from the MaxScript Listener: To retrieve that, open the Listener with either F11 or in the top menu under "MAXScript -> MaxScript Listener". In the lower, white part of that popup box you should see a large stack of text messages. If the MDT crashes, it automatically dumps all current variables and functions and the TraceStack here, which can be very helpful for me. This should be the bottommost parts, written in blue and red (on Max12). If you are unsure, just open the Listener BEFORE you run the function that causes the crash and right-click on the area and select "Clear All". Then run the function that crashes. Now the script listener will only contain the helpful data!
For additional debug/feedback/"live dev talk" join our Skype group. Just add me (wgpsenshi) and please provide a non-default add-message (stating that you come from bfmods, at the very least). I will then add you to our groupchat.
Most recent version:
Feb 15 2013 - Version 2.762
Download either from the link above or use the attachment (they are the same)
Extract the file to your main 3ds Max folder, maintaining folder structure. Confirm overwrites.
It should replace all older files, but if you want to be 100% sure, uninstall/delete old versions of the MDT 3dsMax scripts.
- Fixed TrimLeadingWhiteSpaces function, caused failures to load/write .rs files properly
- Developing from Max13 now, so feedback from any older version appreciated.
- Changed the version number in the tools header properly.
- Fixed single .sm export
- Fixed PrettyDosBatch function
- Lots of small things all around to get the MDT to run at all...
- Rexman's entire Level toolkit