easy punkbuster update

For info on the site, community and 'battlefieldy' things
freddy

easy punkbuster update

Post by freddy »

punkbuster has dropped the support for bf42 totally now, and you cant find any officially way to update your game if you have to reinstall. there is upgrades to be found elsewhere that gamers have fixed them selfes, i know moongamers have some links how to for example.

but i found a easier way to update punkbuster, in the console if you type pb_security 0 this will allow punkbuster to be updated directly from the server you are playing on instead of punkbusters servers. i found this info in a thread for Wolfenstein but i did some tests and it seems to work just as fine for bf42. by typing just pb_security it will show the state if its on (1) or off (0)

ImageImage

http://forums.warchestgames.com/archive ... -7171.html
Old Man River

Re: easy punkbuster update

Post by Old Man River »

So if I understand you correctly the player has to type it in his console after joining game ? wouldnt he be kicked on joining first
I tried it in our spare server which has its PB not enabled, it gave value (1) with my own pb enabled
If I turned off my pb it gave value of "PB is currently disabled " not a (0)

We had to turn off pb on servers as it was kicking so may players due to not being able to update, we would love to get it back if it could be done at server end, players just will not make effort or cant update pb
freddy

Post by freddy »

Old Man River wrote:So if I understand you correctly the player has to type it in his console after joining game ? wouldnt he be kicked on joining first
Yes he need to type it in his console, you can set the time for update time out in pbsv.cfg

Code: Select all

pb_sv_UpdateGrace 4800 //[Seconds to wait before Update Failure kick]
Some years ago i had the UpdateGrace setting to about half an hour but it seems it been capped to around 5 minutes now, atleast i couldnt get it to more when i tried some days ago.

Both the players joining the server and the server itself need to have punkbuster on for this to work. 5 minutes should be plenty of time but i guess it depends on how fresh the players is, if they can find the console and understand how to type in the command etc.

I was trying to find a way to stop pb from kicking at all but still have it on so i could atleast use the screenshot function and some other functions, and it is possible to stop it from kicking except just in case with update failure. Will try some more when i get some time over.
Old Man River

Post by Old Man River »

Yes we miss screen shot function, just have to rely on a team of very experienced moderators, who have to sacrifice their own game time observing and testing players :(
Thanks for reply
freddy

Post by freddy »

Iwé been foolin around some more with this and it seems like its possible to use a old pb version in the server and disable its kick function, that way one can still use the screenshot function, and the players wont get kicked for wrong pb version. downside is that the server will make update requests all the time. It also put out a "unresolved dns" message for the players now and then.

pb_sv_Restrictions 0 //[0=No, 1=Yes (default=1)]
and
pb_sv_gameauth 0

edit: anyone knows a command to use the players id nr instead of name or pbid?

example
// Take a PB Screenshot
Console Commands>"pb_sv_getss %pbid"|cmd,[ss]
%keyhash"|cmd,[ss]
%name"|cmd,[ss]''

I would like to try use the id number but i dont know the right syntax for it.