Modeling in 3DsMax without UVW unwrapping and texturing

If you know something thats not in here please share it
Sgt.Killboy

Modeling in 3DsMax without UVW unwrapping and texturing

Post by Sgt.Killboy »

Here's a little tutorial about modeling statics for bf1942 WITHOUT UVW unwrapping and texturing.

Requirements:

-Basic knowledge of 3DsMax
-Knowledge of importing/exporting statics with the bf1942 plugin for 3DsMax
-Having extracted your nessecary bf1942 files like fOok explained it in his tutorial about setting up Editor 42, wich can be found here

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=115

There's 3 main reasons, why i think, this is not the worst idea to try it that way.

1.You don't need any mayor skills like modelling, UVW unwrapping and texturing.
2.You can save a lot of time doing it that way around.
3.All texture files are already stored in bf1942, so you just need to put the meshes in your maps folder, and tell the game to load the meshes from the maps folder and the textures from bf1942.

What I'm going to do, is to create a very simple static model, just to show how it works.

I use this block as reference:

By rightclicking and choosing hide selection I am going to hide it for a while.

Then i import a bf1942's static mesh, in this case "lrgfrenchfarm_m1-1". If you do this for the first time, max will ask for the textures location. Just got to your extracted textures folder (remember fOok's tutorial bout setting up ED42).

What i do now, is to select the part of the model wich is called "LOD01_lrgfrenchfarm_m1-1" and hit Ctrl+I to invert the selection. Now all other LOD'S are selected. Then I hit Del, to delete them, since I'm only going to work with the main LOD.
Now i convert this to an editable polygon.

Now I unhide my reference by rightclicking/unhide all.

What I do next, is to select a wall to detach it from the mesh.

Since the Objs pivot is still like the pivot of the farms mesh, I will change it, by centering the pivot to the new object in Max's hierachy mode.
This makes moving and rotating a lot easier.
Now I move it in front of my reference.
Converting the detached wall to editable poly, is what I do next. Then i cut those parts I dont need by using "cut" in vertex selection.

I'will do the same with a part of the roof.

Once i got all neccesary parts cut out, I will attach them one by one, to get one object. Then i go and weld the vertices using target weld. you might also nee to weld other vertices. Keep that in mind.

Once the vertices are weld, you might find some holes between the corners. fix that by moving vertices or "make planar" tool. Also you might find your model looking a bit blackened at some parts.

This can be fixed by using the autosmooth tool. Finally i get a model like this one:

A model like that is done in 15 minutes.

You can also use different models, like a bridge and a house for example. Bf1942 will still find the right textures. Now you just need to put your Object in your map, and tell bf1942 to get it there.
My anger management class pi**e* me off.
Swaffy

Re: Modeling in 3DsMax without UVW unwrapping and texturing

Post by Swaffy »

Oh, wow. That's cool.
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™
Sgt.Killboy

Post by Sgt.Killboy »

Actually I am not really sure if you can generate Lightmaps for costum OBJs like that. Sorry!

:?
My anger management class pi**e* me off.
Senshi

Post by Senshi »

It is possible. There even is a tool which automatically creates the lightmap samples required to generate object lightmaps. Will have to look for it, though...
However, the tool is very iffy about modeling mistakes. If your object has even the slightest of issues like double edges or open vertices, there's a good chance the tool will fail to create a lightmap sample for it. Better said: It will create a sample, but when rendering object lightmaps in Battlecraft/debugger, you won't get a lightmap file for it.

But still, it's a huge timesaver over making lightmap samples by hand...

EDIT: Found it. Was made by the famous cajunwolf:
http://www.cajunwolf.com/Using_Samplesmaker.html
Crash

Post by Crash »

If anyone reads this, can u message me about new meshes?