Server has a popup.

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
motoko

Re: Server has a popup.

Post by motoko »

Yeah, I have no clue how I got it work. It happens every now and again, but its not my anti-virus...
freddy

Post by freddy »

actually running it in xp compability mode doesnt crash, but its acting weird as in taking 100% of one cpu core and the "dos lookalike" window dissapears, but its still running and works with the servermanager. if i join the server its clear that it is under heavy strain tho.

i need to solve this "loopback" problem, bf42 gonna be deserted by the gameserverhosts when they upgrade to win 7 OS (its already happening)
motoko

Post by motoko »

freddy wrote:actually running it in xp compability mode doesnt crash, but its acting weird as in taking 100% of one cpu core and the "dos lookalike" window dissapears, but its still running and works with the servermanager. if i join the server its clear that it is under heavy strain tho.

i need to solve this "loopback" problem, bf42 gonna be deserted by the gameserverhosts when they upgrade to win 7 OS (its already happening)
Oh? So that wasn't an isolated incident. I still have that problem where it uses up 100% of only one core causing a crapton of lag. Let me know if you encounter a fix!
Voldemort

Post by Voldemort »

Well I have found a cure. Hope it´s not too late for U.

I´m running win7 64 bit ultimate and I always got this popup message when I started the server using BlackBag´s server manager, both using the 2.0 and the 2.01 versions. I had no problems though running the original game server directly (Run dedicated server). But we want a bit more control so I want to use BlackBag´s program.
So now I tried disabling my anti-virus program to no results.

The fix is to right click BFServerManager.exe inside your game install folder (C:\Program Files(X86)\EA GAMES\Battlefield 1942) and click -Properties---Compatability----Change settings for all users---tick the "run this program in compatibility for: Windows XP(Service Pack 3)-----then tick "Run this program as an administrator---click apply and OK.... Now do the same for the following files inside your game folder: DedicatedServer.exe, BF1942_w32ded.exe and BF1942.exe if you have it. Now thing work fine, Good luck :)
freddy

Post by freddy »

yep works now, i guess MS sneaked in some windows update that fixed some compability settings
freddy wrote: running the bf42 server in xp compability results in crash

freddy

Post by freddy »

thanks for posting btw, its nice to know it works on win 7 now.
Voldemort wrote:Well I have found a cure. Hope it´s not too late for U.
well we where about to shift server provider and the one that was highest up on the list happend to use win 7, i had a small 10 players test server there but as we couldnt get it to work i had to cancel it and go for another server host.

in my experience it is a bit hard to find a place that works good for all players eg different countries. London was a good place if you wanted a good ping for the most part (closest to us) but for the last years it kinda degraded with pingspikes packetloss and all kinds of strange stuff. since then we have tried different locations with various results, germany seems to be the best bet for now.

sometimes i wonder if the internets kinda overloaded with all torrents and such going on, i know many (perhaps all) the ISP´s have software checking whats going throw there nodes, voice over IP gets the highest priority for some reason and i guess gaming traffic is somewhere in the bottom feed by the looks of it :roll:
Voldemort

Post by Voldemort »

That´s true, the internet is getting clogged for gamers. Perhaps UDP is the way to go around that as it runs linear info ?
Anyway I find german and Dutch servers to be most stable. I´ll be back with new info if I find any... GL !
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

^ New member? Yey!
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™
tomatoslice

Post by tomatoslice »

ran across this while googling a problem we are having.
remember a few months back a few people were crashing servers.
well, one of them is back and seems to be able to bypass the patch.
he recently crashed our server and a few others.
the message from the log is:
12/22/2011 17:50:44 : Disconnected
12/22/2011 17:51:07 : Server has a popup
12/22/2011 17:51:07 : Couldn't send message quit to console! Not connected.
12/22/2011 17:51:07 : Disconnected
12/22/2011 17:51:07 : Server stopped
12/22/2011 17:51:07 : Auto-restart is enabled, restarting the server.
12/22/2011 17:51:07 : Server started
12/22/2011 17:51:13 : Connected

not sure if it's related to your problem.
Voldemort

Post by Voldemort »

I think our problem is solved, at least temporaily :)