My BF1942.exe will not run?

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
Swaffy

My BF1942.exe will not run?

Post by Swaffy »

Hi everyone. I'm making this a dedicated thread for my issue since I can't play the game at all due to it. For a few months my BF1942.exe has not been running. Here is what I know so far:

- I'm running Windows 7 (64-bit).
- When I click on the exe to run it, I see it in my Processes tab of Task Manager but it immediately disappears.
- No shortcuts work either such as the shortcut to run my mod or any other mods.
- Today I reinstalled the game and still got the same results.

[edit]
- I can run all of my other exe including bc42.exe (Battlecraft) and WEITM v1.5 which runs on its own bf1942.exe.
- My mobile copy of BF1942 on my external hard drive will not run either. The copy on my computer's hard drive runs off of the original disk (an ISO of it) and the one on my external drive runs off a no-CD patch. Neither will run. The copy of the game on my external was known to run fine, at least until this issue came up.
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™
duffman

Re: My BF1942.exe will not run?

Post by duffman »

From the top of my head:

RFA AND MODS FOLDER

The most common problem I have with a functioning Battlefield 1942 install that suddenly crashes with no heads-up is usually putting dodgy RFA files in the wrong location and references. Like putting an Interstate82 RFA into DesertCombat folder etc.

GENERAL WINDOWS STUFF (NEWER VERSIONS)

1) Check "windows 7 compatibility mode" .. properties on the bf1942.exe, and drop it down to XP mode?

2) C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 1942\Mods\bf1942\Settings\VideoDefault.con
...try dropping it to a Window Mode, more likely to start: renderer.setFullScreen 0

3) C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 1942\Mods\bf1942\Settings\%YOUR_PROFILE%\Video.con
Is your settings matching your screen or less (or totally off?) check: game.setGameDisplayMode (mine is: 1920 1080 32 60 so is my screen)

4) "c:\Program Files\" vs "c:\Program Files (x86)\" ... check registry:
in command line type: >reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\EA GAMES\Battlefield 1942"
check this matches: GAMEDIR REG_SZ C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 1942
BF1942 is NOT gone run from anywhere else than "C:\Program Files\" ...

5) Patched your Executable for hi-res? (if you did, try without! if you didnt, try with!)

6) And patch it for serial number etc. (all the original game servers are dead, you must patch it!)
Not sure what patch I did but after patching it my
bf1942.exe MD5 sum is: 15CB9657CAB34CAD6B4E5B23E11E4B97
and it will run 1920x1080, no serial stuff, or gamespy crap etc.

INTEL GRAPHICS

I have had some issues with Intel Graphics on a lot motherboards/laptops because they didnt bother adding support for previous versions of OpenGL (and probably Direct X).

I use OpenGL Extensions Viewer to check: http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/
Click Summary (top entry), then on "See details.." where your opengl version is displayed..
It will list out all the different Extension versions and how many features your graphics/drivers support.

I am running a GeForce GT610 (the best I could do without fan on the board) does 100% on all versions of OpenGL from 3.0 to 4.4. In my experience almost all the Intel Graphics boxes I have encountered have taken shortcuts and have 0% support on anything below "current" (say 4.3).. anyway.. All the unfixable "fails" I have add with getting BF1942 running, like full stop has been Intel Graphics and when I check its always shitty OpenGL support (this would probably also correlate to DirectX, if they take shortcuts on OpenGL they would be doing it on DirectX as well.) For this there is no fix.. get a new graphics card if you can.. (stay away from "Intel Graphics" unless you can add/replace the Graphics card).
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

Thank you for replying.
duffman wrote:1) Check "windows 7 compatibility mode" .. properties on the bf1942.exe, and drop it down to XP mode?
I had the exe set to run on Windows 7 (Service Pack 3) and as Admin.
duffman wrote:2) C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 1942\Mods\bf1942\Settings\VideoDefault.con
...try dropping it to a Window Mode, more likely to start: renderer.setFullScreen 0
I tried this before. Tried it again and have the same issue.
duffman wrote:3) C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 1942\Mods\bf1942\Settings\%YOUR_PROFILE%\Video.con
Is your settings matching your screen or less (or totally off?) check: game.setGameDisplayMode (mine is: 1920 1080 32 60 so is my screen)
I always ran the game in 800x600 even though my monitor is 1920x1080, not sure why I need this? Also remember I have a fresh install of the game so I have no custom profile yet.
duffman wrote:4) "c:\Program Files\" vs "c:\Program Files (x86)\" ... check registry:
in command line type: >reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\EA GAMES\Battlefield 1942"
check this matches: GAMEDIR REG_SZ C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 1942
BF1942 is NOT gone run from anywhere else than "C:\Program Files\" ...
I don't have an "EA GAMES" under the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\" registry directory. Maybe this a problem?
duffman wrote:5) Patched your Executable for hi-res? (if you did, try without! if you didnt, try with!)
I'd rather get it running in the normal 800x600 first, without any other mods.

duffman wrote:6) And patch it for serial number etc. (all the original game servers are dead, you must patch it!)
Not sure what patch I did but after patching it my
bf1942.exe MD5 sum is: 15CB9657CAB34CAD6B4E5B23E11E4B97
and it will run 1920x1080, no serial stuff, or gamespy crap etc.p/quote]
Does this prevent the entire game from running at all? Literally nothing shows when I try to run the exe...

INTEL GRAPHICS
duffman wrote:I have had some issues with Intel Graphics on a lot motherboards/laptops because they didnt bother adding support for previous versions of OpenGL (and probably Direct X).
AMD Radeon 5770
DirectX 11 (maybe this?)
I had the same video card when playing the game so since you said DX11 may be an issue?
duffman

Post by duffman »

Had a look at the Registry to what keys where are actually being used by bf1942.exe and .dlls (below).
The ergc would contain the cd key.
You could recreate the keys and see if that makes any difference.
But the funny part is that my game started without them!!

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Electronic Arts\EA GAMES\Battlefield 1942\ergc]
@="012345678901234567890123456789"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\EA GAMES\Battlefield 1942]
"LANGUAGE"="English"
"REGSTR"="00000C09"

Your graphics card should not have any problems with this, maybe see if there is an update for the drivers.
Might be worth looking at DirectX (run->dxdiag.exe) and see if there is any issues there.
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

This may also help, I don't know. When I click on BF1942_r.exe (the debugger) a window comes up giving me this:
The program can't start because BFCPRT.dll is missing from your
computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

Do you know what BFCPRT.dll is?

[edit]
Just went into my regedit to see if I can make a directory for EA GAMES or Electronic Arts but it seems I can't create any directories in the registry.
duffman

Post by duffman »

The missing bfcprt.dll is made by Dice so you gone need that, and msvcr70.dll (dependency if you dont have it in the games folder already).
Extract to: "C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 1942\"
bfcprt.dll, MD5: F93E635197D20BF681CCF65CC9D6D20B
msvcr70.dll, MD5: 9972A6ED4F2388DBFA8E0A96F6F3FDF1

http://www.trapv.com/misc/battlefield_1 ... bfcprt.zip
Swaffy

(SOLVED) My BF1942.exe will not run?

Post by Swaffy »

I greatly appreciate your replies, duffman.

I found a solution online which seems to have solved my issue. Here is info:
I was having the same problem with some older games on windows 7 home premium 64 bit. I finally figured out why my games would not start and why I was getting the error "access denied - please login as administrator." Microsoft recently released a new update (new to me anyway) and it automatically downloads this and the windows 10 upgrade icon, so if you want to be able to play your games un-install this windows update (and mark it as a hidden update so it won't re-install) KB3086255. Now every pc is different, so I don't know if this applies to just windows 7, or all versions of windows released after XP. My computer is a personally built system, not that it makes a difference, so I can't guarantee this will work for every windows 7 pc.
Here is the important part:
so if you want to be able to play your games un-install this windows update KB3086255

(Control Panel > Windows Update > View update history)
It may have something to do with Safedisk DRM so we may want to look into that. Also I hope this can help anyone else who runs into this issue.
duffman

Post by duffman »

Good find!

Read up a bit on the patch, and it disables the copy protection drivers used on a lot of older games.

Clearly we have no choice but apply no-cd patches for older games or we end up with a worthless game down the track.

Even if you uninstall this patch to make it work for now, windows will probably "force" install it again later and/or the option to uninstall is removed..
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

duffman wrote:Read up a bit on the patch, and it disables the copy protection drivers used on a lot of older games.
More specifically the games that ran off a CD. Yea, kind of stupid for Microsoft to do, but it was for "closing a security hole" ... Anyway, most games these days are digital downloads so CDs are kinda phasing out. I still have a no-CD patch for my game but I dunno if it bypasses the Safedisk thing. If I get this issue in the future then I'll try it out.
buschhans

Post by buschhans »

i send you a pm about your trouble. It is easy to fix in 2016.:-) Battlefield 1942 will be run all systems, our luck.:-) Thats make it to the best modding shooter ever.
If do you like the BF 1942 Mods or search a Download please visit: http://hg-clan.blogspot.de/