Out from the shadows..

Introduce yourself and check the rules ;)
duffman

Out from the shadows..

Post by duffman »

I probably should start with a story as well: A year (plus) ago I introduced Battlefield 1942 (Desert Combat mod) to my workplace, and we managed to scramble around 8-12 players for lunch-gaming (1 hour a day). The choice of game was really that it was one of the best games that would run on any business workstation (high-end graphics cards it not very common on workstations). Anyway... a map we had downloaded had become a favourite, but it crashed on the updated version of battlefield 1942 (exe), so I thought.. How hard can it be? I’ll fix the map!!

So for the last 6 months I have been lurking in the shadows, skimming this forum for how-to, but never joined up. The fix turned into a brand new map, and this map has been polished, tuned, over-played, (too many hours, weekends, angry wife..), but never got "completed".

Always been amazed that this forum is so full of knowledge, and people still being active with modding after so long time. I have been thinking about joining for a while but always too "busy".

But, as I have now decided to look for a new job things change, and I currently have that extra time for other things (might be a short period). A couple of things I want to do while I have the time.. Finish that damn map! And maybe post some of the knowledge I gained while developing it (hard lessons) and that I could not find answers to in this forum..

And I guess have to say something about myself: ..brainwashed by Commodore 64 back in '85, then Commodore Amiga took it over the top and sealed my future. I work within IT (not game industry), and what I am good at is network computing if that makes any sense.. (a developer thats knows a bit about networking..).
Nighthawk

Re: Out from the shadows..

Post by Nighthawk »

What map is it?
Vilespring

Post by Vilespring »

Welcome to the forum! I lurked a bit around too in the forums without signing up, and I finally did when I couldn't get the AA Tiger tank working. (Swaffy probably remembers that derp. Oh me... :lol: )

well, someone here probably has an answer to your problem!
A picture is worth a thousand words, but takes up three thousand times the memory.

Area 51: http://battlefieldarea51mod.weebly.com/

"I didn't steal your pizza"
duffman

Post by duffman »

We have only been playing this map in LAN environment. I didnt want to release the map until i have "fixed" all the big dramas.. too hard to maintain multiple versions out on the net.

The map is called "Bad Luck City" (dc_bad_luck_city). I am hoping to get some help from some of you guys, and then release it..

Vilespring

Post by Vilespring »

:o
That is an amazing map. It looks so cool!!!
does it have vehicle support? It won't need many, but a Bradly and a BMP-2 will spice the map up a bit.
A picture is worth a thousand words, but takes up three thousand times the memory.

Area 51: http://battlefieldarea51mod.weebly.com/

"I didn't steal your pizza"
duffman

Post by duffman »

There are vehicles in there, and a couple of small choppers. No ammo boxes, or first aid. Once a vehicle is destroyed it takes 10 minutes to respawn.
Found that it creates a better balance of vehicles and infantry running around, and a team can't afford to "waste" vehicles.

pv das florestas

Post by pv das florestas »

Thats really cool, would be awesome to find people to play in lunch time. I only have 3 friends willing to play such an "old" game :( hehe.

Anyway the map looks really great, fun and balanced. Cheers!