Battlefield 1942 is now free to play at Origin...

For info on the site, community and 'battlefieldy' things
Swaffy

Re: Battlefield 1942 Free to play at Origin

Post by Swaffy »

I've never used Origin before...

And I won't get this "new" free version of the game if my mods aren't compatible with it...

I am curious, though, what kind of new[er] modding features are available now.
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™
X=X=X=X=X=X=X=X

Post by X=X=X=X=X=X=X=X »

Running 1942 Origin - 76 slots right now at "THE TORTURE CELL". Server is full and "lag" is acceptable.

Server CPU is a Core i7-3770K

Total system CPU load is 3 %

Load for BF1942_w32ded.exe is 30 %

I heard BFSM may crash at 80 slots .... gonna try 80 soon
freddy

Post by freddy »

it could be interesting to know the limits for sure.

it takes forever to join a server with this kind of player numbers (map loading seems to stop totally for a long time)
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder »

I joined that server "The Torture Cell" that had a 75/76 or so player limit (and was full to the brim with humans to boot). I had no issues at all loading in to the server. The server was probably in Europe somewhere, so my ping was a bit high. So I did a get a little lag every now and then. But aside from that, it was quite playable for me and had no issues with it.

Skip to like 90 to 100 or so. Why stop at 80? :D

I wish EA would include Desert Combat or DC Final as an official expansion pack via Origin. DC servers are showing up now, but they are now where near as populated as the vanilla ones. :(

DC was the mod that pretty much rocket launched BF1942 to popularity in the good ol' days. Wondering why they wouldn't include that in the Origin download so everyone would have it and be able to join servers running the mod. :P

Having close to 128 players on a server running a DC map would be awesome to see. but the mod just doesn't have the player base yet to see this happen. :(
ImageImageImage
I have cameras in your head!
Old Man River

Post by Old Man River »

Bihnet has installed digital version on server at 195.222.33.249 yesterday still no BFRM and its not set, they will try to do that in the next few days
X=X=X=X=X=X=X=X

Post by X=X=X=X=X=X=X=X »

Running 78 slots today, going for 80 tomorrow, and that will be the end station. Anything more will just be ridiculous and affect gameplay too much. Spawn times are very short at the server, making everything very intense. Hopefully BFSM can handle 80. Gonna overclock ye olde cpu to 4+ ghz to get the last juice out of it. Hopefully the pc won't explode. :lol:
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder »

March is just a couple of months away which is the time when EA is expected to end this promotion. So I've set the thread to "Announcement" and made a small edit to the first post. ;)
ImageImageImage
I have cameras in your head!
mistamontiel

Re: Battlefield 1942 is now free to play at Origin...

Post by mistamontiel »

I was just thinking of this digital version, plus I've been spreading hoping to acquire faithful fun players. And now it seems that EA Origin's Demos page finally changed

https://www.origin.com/en-us/store/shop/demos-trials . So where does one navigate to to find the BF1942 download ?

I still wished I could be promoting the BF1942 Wake demo. And I don't even have to install it to know it's still kicking. I surely hope Origin won't conflict should one decide to order BF1942

My main gripe about playing off Origin (aside from no xpacks nor support for owners), is that my sounds always cut off. I heard couple months ago that enabling 64 channel solves.. hopefully that fix works commonly
Old Man River

Post by Old Man River »

They moved the BF1942 download from demo games to free games Tab
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

oooh.. cool. Was expecting it to go further into the deep but this is good news for the old girl.

edit: still appears to be in demos on the website at least..?