How to setup ED42 for mods?

If you know something thats not in here please share it
NUKE

How to setup ED42 for mods?

Post by NUKE »

Hello everybody,

I would like to do some minor SSMs, like adding vehicles, adding weapon kits etc., for Desert Combat maps. Doing it with a simple text editor is possible, but I would like to directly see where I am placing the objects. I tried BC42, but I had too many problems with it (some maps would open, others not, on some I can see the objects, on others not,...) So now I wanted to try ED42. I followed the video tutorial about setting up ED42 and it works just fine with the base game. Unfortunately I didn't find any tutorials for usage with other mods. So I tried to extract the object.rfa, standardmesh.rfa and texture.rfa of the mods folders (DesertCombat and DC_Final) into the bfdev folder just as I did for the base game. For testing purposes I extracted the level El_Alamein from all three mods aswell. When I open the map, unluckily I don't see most of the objects. On few vehicles I can see the meshes, but without textures. Can somebody tell me how to set up ED42 correctly for mods, so I can see all the mod specific objects?
Vilespring

Re: How to setup ED42 for mods?

Post by Vilespring »

Ed kinda does incomplete vehicle textures and meshes for some reason, by my experience.
A picture is worth a thousand words, but takes up three thousand times the memory.

Area 51: http://battlefieldarea51mod.weebly.com/

"I didn't steal your pizza"
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

Yeah ... sometimes my vehicles only show a MG turret instead of the hull. It's wonky sometimes.

And recently, I can't save a map without it crashing... so much for updating my mod's maps.
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

Look out for map side archives as those will not show up in the map correctly. I know DC/DCF has a lot of objects which are run map side and this will make the objects invisible/with missing textures in ED42 if you haven't extracted the map side archives to your bfdev folder (you must do this manually, a lot of copy and paste). BC has the same problem.
See my Strasbourg map project here.