Page 2 of 2

Re: Swimmable Water

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:20 am
by Kurosaji
the swimming part is the tricky part. I can make the water transparent and i have a river object im testing, but the swimming is the last piece. the vehicles are the easy part granted what im doing. There any way to trigger the soldier to activate the swim animation?

Re: Swimmable Water

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:54 am
by Swaffy
That sounds so crazy it might just work. /reference

Re: Swimmable Water

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 4:00 pm
by Ruuga
Battlefield Vietnam has water-objects in it. If you own that you should check how they are done in there.

Re: Swimmable Water

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:37 am
by Swaffy
Ruuga wrote:Battlefield Vietnam has water-objects in it. If you own that you should check how they are done in there.


Hmm. I wonder if the water object was a new addition to BF Vietnam's source code and such? I wonder if, like you said, it can be reverse-engineered.

Re: Swimmable Water

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:47 pm
by Classical Modder
Swaffy wrote:
Ruuga wrote:Battlefield Vietnam has water-objects in it. If you own that you should check how they are done in there.


Hmm. I wonder if the water object was a new addition to BF Vietnam's source code and such? I wonder if, like you said, it can be reverse-engineered.


It is a new addition unfortunately. I have tried creating an object with a "water mesh" attached to it but the soldier just goes straight through it (in BF1942).

IIRC BF Vietnam also gives mappers the ability to create caves and tunnels through the height map?

Re: Swimmable Water

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:16 pm
by Swaffy
Classical Modder wrote:IIRC BF Vietnam also gives mappers the ability to create caves and tunnels through the height map?


I believe fo0k made one in BF1942. I think he took the heightmap into a 3D modeling program and took out two squares in different locations then made a tunnel that attaches them.

Re: Swimmable Water

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:38 pm
by Classical Modder
Swaffy wrote:
Classical Modder wrote:IIRC BF Vietnam also gives mappers the ability to create caves and tunnels through the height map?


I believe fo0k made one in BF1942. I think he took the heightmap into a 3D modeling program and took out two squares in different locations then made a tunnel that attaches them.


Yup. Although it is not really a proper tunnel since the tunnel object is an object and not actually part of the heightmap itself so you can't have dynamic shadows on it. This is the limitation BF1942 has vs Vietnam, where it would have those dynamic shadows in a tunnel since it is part of the heightmap.

But it's a tunnel so without much lighting it shouldn't really be an issue.

Re: Swimmable Water

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:13 am
by Swaffy
Classical Modder wrote:Yup. Although it is not really a proper tunnel since the tunnel object is an object and not actually part of the heightmap itself so you can't have dynamic shadows on it. This is the limitation BF1942 has vs Vietnam, where it would have those dynamic shadows in a tunnel since it is part of the heightmap.

But it's a tunnel so without much lighting it shouldn't really be an issue.


Gosh I wish that was possible. Natural tunnels would allow for some really sweet maps. Static objects don't always have the best texturing.

Re: Swimmable Water

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:10 pm
by Classical Modder
Yeah that would be pretty cool. But still I think fook did a great job creating that hole in the heightmap map object and I would definetly use a trick like that if I had more modeling knowledge to create tunnels and stuff in my maps.

I think that eventually we should try to migrate some of BFV''s features into BF1942, such as the advanced kit system, the tunnel system and the detailed foliage objects for forests. That would be pretty neat.

Re: Swimmable Water

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:43 am
by Vilespring
Wish we could, but no source code..