Swimmable Water

If you know something thats not in here please share it
Kurosaji

Swimmable Water

Post by Kurosaji »

Is there a known way to create swimmable water in different areas at different heights? Essentially water going off a cliff up high, into a continuing stream or pond down below, then you can use boats, swim or whatever etc. There has to be a way.
Diamondback

Re: Swimmable Water

Post by Diamondback »

Best way would be to create ''water objects'' that behave exactly like the water you see in maps such as Coral Sea or Battle of Britain. You could then place them at different heights and swim in them too.
See my Strasbourg map project here.
GoodDayToDie!!

Post by GoodDayToDie!! »

EOD has a water fall object I recall...but there was only one level of water.... :(
Kurosaji

Post by Kurosaji »

waterfall isn't a problem, i just need to be able to swim at different heights. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to begin making or developing something that would do that
Django

Post by Django »

I think this is a hardcoded one.
So I believe that you cant have water that is swimable at different heights like as a template for placing around a map.
I believe there is no such thing like a water-material collision that forces the soldiermodel to swim including the animation. I think it is just determined by the height of the floor and waterlevel when the swimming starts.

and the only lines I know for manipulation the water height setting are in the map's terrain.con :
GeometryTemplate.waterLevel 50
GeometryTemplate.seaFloorLevel 49

But I am sure ApacheThunder has an idea ;)
Kurosaji

Post by Kurosaji »

hope so.
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

Django wrote:I think this is a hardcoded one.
So I believe that you cant have water that is swimable at different heights like as a template for placing around a map.
I believe there is no such thing like a water-material collision that forces the soldiermodel to swim including the animation. I think it is just determined by the height of the floor and waterlevel when the swimming starts.

and the only lines I know for manipulation the water height setting are in the map's terrain.con :
GeometryTemplate.waterLevel 50
GeometryTemplate.seaFloorLevel 49

But I am sure ApacheThunder has an idea ;)
That is about right. I tested a water object and it didn't work.
See my Strasbourg map project here.
Kurosaji

Post by Kurosaji »

i refuse to believe its impossible, lol
one

Post by one »

Kurosaji wrote:i refuse to believe its impossible, lol
I'm sure it's impossible to create a "water" on different from waterLevel height where any PCO or soldiers can swim, I see no way of giving an object the properties of real water. If you use a collision mesh with 0 material (number of water material), the object will be still solid and PCOs and soldiers will just collide with it like a ground.

But you can try to do a crappy trick - add a water-like surface a bit above the collision mesh of water object and attach wheels with no LOD (or transparent texture) to boats so they roll and move on that collision mesh. Water-like surface will hide the shit so it will look like boats are floating on it, but only when you look from above :D
Vilespring

Post by Vilespring »

That is the crappiest trick I've ever heard of...

IT'S BRILLIANT! :lol:
A picture is worth a thousand words, but takes up three thousand times the memory.

Area 51: http://battlefieldarea51mod.weebly.com/

"I didn't steal your pizza"