Swimmable Water

If you know something thats not in here please share it
Kurosaji

Re: Swimmable Water

Post by Kurosaji »

the swimming part is the tricky part. I can make the water transparent and i have a river object im testing, but the swimming is the last piece. the vehicles are the easy part granted what im doing. There any way to trigger the soldier to activate the swim animation?
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

That sounds so crazy it might just work. /reference
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™
Ruuga

Post by Ruuga »

Battlefield Vietnam has water-objects in it. If you own that you should check how they are done in there.
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

Ruuga wrote:Battlefield Vietnam has water-objects in it. If you own that you should check how they are done in there.
Hmm. I wonder if the water object was a new addition to BF Vietnam's source code and such? I wonder if, like you said, it can be reverse-engineered.
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

Swaffy wrote:
Ruuga wrote:Battlefield Vietnam has water-objects in it. If you own that you should check how they are done in there.
Hmm. I wonder if the water object was a new addition to BF Vietnam's source code and such? I wonder if, like you said, it can be reverse-engineered.
It is a new addition unfortunately. I have tried creating an object with a "water mesh" attached to it but the soldier just goes straight through it (in BF1942).

IIRC BF Vietnam also gives mappers the ability to create caves and tunnels through the height map?
See my Strasbourg map project here.
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

Classical Modder wrote:IIRC BF Vietnam also gives mappers the ability to create caves and tunnels through the height map?
I believe fo0k made one in BF1942. I think he took the heightmap into a 3D modeling program and took out two squares in different locations then made a tunnel that attaches them.
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

Swaffy wrote:
Classical Modder wrote:IIRC BF Vietnam also gives mappers the ability to create caves and tunnels through the height map?
I believe fo0k made one in BF1942. I think he took the heightmap into a 3D modeling program and took out two squares in different locations then made a tunnel that attaches them.
Yup. Although it is not really a proper tunnel since the tunnel object is an object and not actually part of the heightmap itself so you can't have dynamic shadows on it. This is the limitation BF1942 has vs Vietnam, where it would have those dynamic shadows in a tunnel since it is part of the heightmap.

But it's a tunnel so without much lighting it shouldn't really be an issue.
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

Classical Modder wrote:Yup. Although it is not really a proper tunnel since the tunnel object is an object and not actually part of the heightmap itself so you can't have dynamic shadows on it. This is the limitation BF1942 has vs Vietnam, where it would have those dynamic shadows in a tunnel since it is part of the heightmap.

But it's a tunnel so without much lighting it shouldn't really be an issue.
Gosh I wish that was possible. Natural tunnels would allow for some really sweet maps. Static objects don't always have the best texturing.
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

Yeah that would be pretty cool. But still I think fook did a great job creating that hole in the heightmap map object and I would definetly use a trick like that if I had more modeling knowledge to create tunnels and stuff in my maps.

I think that eventually we should try to migrate some of BFV''s features into BF1942, such as the advanced kit system, the tunnel system and the detailed foliage objects for forests. That would be pretty neat.
Vilespring

Post by Vilespring »

Wish we could, but no source code..
A picture is worth a thousand words, but takes up three thousand times the memory.

Area 51: http://battlefieldarea51mod.weebly.com/

"I didn't steal your pizza"