I need to add more weapons into BF1942

If you know something thats not in here please share it
andoodle

I need to add more weapons into BF1942

Post by andoodle »

Hello, everyone.

I am having some problems here. I am trying to add the Sten (from Road to Rome) and the Bren (from Secret Weapons of WWII) into the vanilla BF1942, but the game won't run. I added the texture, standard mesh, and object files for those weapons into the game, and it ran fine, but the sounds and the correct animations for those weapons were missing. So, I added the animation and sound files for those weapons into the game, but it wouldn't run. What am I doing wrong? Note: I am doing that for my personal use only.
Senshi

Re: I need to add more weapons into BF1942

Post by Senshi »

Well, it's clear that something is wrong. It's not easy to say what exactly, because you describe the steps correctly. My bet is that you inadvertently made a mistake following those steps. Crashes can be caused by plenty of things, but it at least help pinpoint it a bit. Try running your game with the debugger or in windowed mode at least to get some sort of error message when it crashes. The debugger even will write a nice logfile.txt, the last lines of that one usually are a good pointer to what exactly caused the crash.

Missing textures, animations or sound samples however do never cause crashes. If they are missing, they simply won't be visible ingame (animation gets "stuck", sounds/textures are simply missing etc.). So there has to be something wrong with gameplay-mechanics somewhere. This could be a simple wrongly placed file or wrongly/corruptly packed .rfa .
Sarge31FR

Post by Sarge31FR »

Did you add ALL the animations files AND !!! the entries in the con files ? It's not enough to just add the meshes, weapon con files etc. if you forget to include the lines in the 1pAnimationsTweakingMod.con and so on.
Senshi

Post by Senshi »

Missing animation entries usually don't cause Crash-to-Desktops, I think, but yeah, for proper functioniality you need all that. Best use Notepad++ or similar to "search in files" for the object name of the Weapon throughout the entire unzipped .rfas of Road to Rome. This will give you a good starter list of where the weapon is referenced and where possibly important code of it is stored.
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

Also, for whatever kit you're using, make sure you put the weapons in the correct slot in the kit. The Sten and the Bren should be put in slot ID 3. You shouldn't have any other weapons that take up slot 3 in that same kit.
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™
andoodle

Post by andoodle »

Sarge31FR wrote:Did you add ALL the animations files AND !!! the entries in the con files ? It's not enough to just add the meshes, weapon con files etc. if you forget to include the lines in the 1pAnimationsTweakingMod.con and so on.
Well, according to the 3rd Step by Step Scripting Tutorial (which is called "How to Create a new Weapon"), the BF1942 game engine will only recognize "singleShotWeaponsmod.inc," "multiShotWeaponsmod.inc," and "AnimationStatesmod.con." I don't think it will recognize any other files like "1pAnimationsTweakingMod.con."
Senshi

Post by Senshi »

BF42 accepts every file you tell it to accept ;) . All the ".inc" and ".con" files are simple text files, and you can tell BF42 to read and process them by adding a "run xxx.con" or "include xxx.con" line to any file that already gets processed. E.g. the vanilla maps only have their init.con that consists of a lot of "run xxx" commands, telling the game to read the other files of the map.

You should definitely make sure to transfer all code that is associated with the weapon. The 1pAnimationsTweaking.con for example is used to fine-tune the speed that 1p animations get played. If you do not transfer the original values, the game will assume you want the animation to be played at 100% speed of the animation .baf file. There's almost no vanilla DICE weapon that uses 100% speed, as you can see if you look in said file. Most get slowed down or sped up so they look correctly.
one

Post by one »

Ha, I remember the same problems with custom weapon in map :) The easiest way to understand what's wrong is to see the example: http://server1.gaus-littlebird.de/downl ... 38301.html
andoodle

Post by andoodle »

Well, it's been sometime since I started this topic, and I have bad news. I have packed the objects file, and I started to play Battlefield 1942 via the debugger (like I said, I am doing this for my personal use only). However, when I selected a map, the game crashed, and it said that it stopped working, so I had to close the program. What am I doing wrong?
OldGoodMan

Post by OldGoodMan »

Let us then for more details.
Let's take a specific weapon. And what files you have transferred to him?
I have experience with the transfer of throwing knife in to mod DesertCombat.
I am ready to help you!