Acer Aspire One netbook & bf1942

For info on the site, community and 'battlefieldy' things
Apache Thunder

Re: Acer Aspire One netbook & bf1942

Post by Apache Thunder »

I believe there is a registry entry that BF1942 uses to store the original install location.

Copy this into notepad and save as a .reg file:

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\EA GAMES\Battlefield 1942]
"LANGUAGE"="English"
"LANGUAGEID"=dword:00000009
"GAMEDIR"="C:\\Program Files\\EA GAMES\\Battlefield 1942"
"SRCDIR"="Y:\\"
"SRCDISK"="Y:"
"UNINSTALL"="RunDll32 C:\\PROGRA~1\\COMMON~1\\INSTAL~1\\engine\\6\\INTEL3~1\\Ctor.dll,LaunchSetup \"C:\\Program Files\\InstallShield Installation Information\\{698D7E61-E4BF-4CA6-8A09-CF6BDBFDEF65}\\Setup.exe\" -l0x9 "
"INSTALLEDVERSION"="1.06.101"
"REGSTR"="00000409"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\EA GAMES\Battlefield 1942\1.00.001]
Change the "SRCDIR" and "SRCDISK" driver letter to that of the one daemon tools uses. Perhaps this will make the game go to that first instead of trying to access a drive that doesn't exist. (not sure why the no-cd patch didn't work)

After you save the new reg file with the correct drive letter refrences, run the new reg file and merge it to the registry.
ImageImageImage
I have cameras in your head!
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

just to be sure here...

you have the bf1942.exe and bf1942.org replaced and also the mod.dll replaced too for your nocd setup?

just checking you had all 3.. :)
Coroner47

Post by Coroner47 »

thanx for the help everyone! I gave up on the unit tho. It just lags bf far too much, even at the lowest vid settings at 800x600 16bit. Its a great little unit for the internet & typing/coding, but it chokes on 64 player bf games. Plus the SSD (solid state drive) is a serious problem with win xp. I'll probably take this thing to a pawn shop! Not worth the $50 i paid for it! At least i had a new toy to play with for a week. :D
Pray hard, die fast
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder »

Dude don't take that too a pawn shop. That thing still retails for over 200 dollers! Though you have the cheaper model, it is still worth a lot more then $50!

My sister owns the 120GB harddrive version (the version with 1gb of ram and a 120GB SATA hardrive)

Sell it on ebay or put it up in the ads paper in your area. Or you can do the wise thing and uprade it! You will have to completely disassemble it though. So not sure if you want to do that. :P

The SSD version should be upradeable to any standard laptop sized SATA drive. As for ram, it can max out at 1.5GB. Do not attempt to buy any 2GB ram sticks for it. It will only take a 1GB stick max. My memory on the exact kind of ram you need to get is fuzzy right now. You can do some googling to find out how to upgrade it.
ImageImageImage
Coroner47

Post by Coroner47 »

Well i think i'll keep it after all cause its good for the internet but its no good for bf. Ive already upgraded the ram to 1.5gb & i was looking at the ssd in it but couldn't see how i could fit a 2.5 drive into it. Ive got a 160gb sata that supposedly fits. Maybe i'll try again. Till then it'll be a linux machine :cry:
Pray hard, die fast
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder »

Update. I got BF1942 to work on my sister's Aspire one! Using Daomon tools! The thing is you must use a image of the CD you used to install BF1942! Not the mini disk image that you download from the internet! Also you might have tried daomon tools with your No-CD patch still installed which results in the game just ignoring the CD image and not starting up. It may also be because I used the latest version of Daomon tools.

It doesn't lag that bad actually. Probably because it is the version with the 120GB harddrive and 1GB of ram. So BF1942 runs ok on it. I didn't have to put all the settings on low. I just put graphics to medium and texture to 80% and the game seems quite playable. :D

Food for thought! :D
ImageImageImage
Zoolander

Post by Zoolander »

BF1942 needs a CD Drive in your computer before it will start (SW Demo included). Your netbook doesn't have a CD drive so that's why it doesn't start. I use the Microsoft Virtual CD program to make a virtual CD drive in a matter of 3 clicks for SW Demo on my MSI Wind.

http://arcanecode.com/2006/09/13/virtualization/

It runs pretty slow on it too so I just use it to run a server for the low power use.

It uses about 4% for each player on the CPU. My internet connection is crap so i can only do 6 players which puts it at about 20% CPU use.

Interestingly Wake Demo (version 1.0) starts fine without a CD drive being present.
Senshi

Post by Senshi »

That's what Apache said? Daemon Tools is a pretty good Virtual CD-drive emulator and fits perfectly in this case. Especially as it has a very good resource management.