Tutorials - Request?

For info on the site, community and 'battlefieldy' things
mrhowdoimodClassic

Tutorials - Request?

Post by mrhowdoimodClassic »

Hey guys, I'm here to see if the bf modding community would like any tutorials for 3d/animation stuff. Whether it's a simple static mesh for your mod or the process of creating a weapon completely from scratch and making it game ready, I'd love to contribute to the community. I found out there's few things more satisfying than seeing your own 3d content in game, and there's nothing more satisfying than knowing it feels professional.

Two things I found very hard to grasp and apply well in bf modding was UVW mapping (the right way, not cheap way, or the classic 6 sided cube tutorial, that's crap), and second would be creating *proper* textures. not these copy and pasted picture textures you see so often in new mods. I'd be more than happy to make these tutorials unless you guys have other things you'd like to get some good videos on.

I can really do anything from a short video on proper poly modeling techniques for video games specifically for performance and UV optimization, to how to model and unwrap odd shaped, or complex weapon models and even high-to-low poly baking (VERY IMPORTANT!). The only thing I'm not very experienced in is how to Rig a character, and how to import vehicles into the game. otherwise I can do most other things.

So if anyone's interested please let me know and reply here with some requests as to what you'd like to see and I'll see if I can make some videos on it explaining everything out, because there's nothing more satisfying than seeing you're own gun in a game, and it's easier than you think!

Thanks guys
fo0k

Re: Tutorials - Request?

Post by fo0k »

We need 100's.. Although there's nothing specific that comes to mind :)
mrhowdoimodClassic

Then maybe I could start a mini series of tutorials? maybe like one every one to two weeks? Something that would cover all the basics, (proper poly modeling, making high/low poly meshes, how to make proper UV's, Lightmap/normals baking, then how to create good looking textures by hand in photoshop) so maybe like a complex static object or a hand weapon and every week I can cover a new subject on that object?

You guys name it! I'd love to hear what the majority of the community would like. I look forward to it, thanks.
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

Those mini tuts would be perfect to start off..

literally explaining how to make a cube in 3dmax.. apply a simple texture to it and then show how to include it as a custom static.

that would help a lot of people get the real basics of exporting and coding up something easy.
mrhowdoimodClassic

Ok, sounds good, I start off with some series of tutorials for a (not so complex) static object. perhaps something like a crate, and I can go over materials and polygon id's and that kind of thing as well. sounds good!

So if anyone's reading this, here's the battle plan:

First video: I'll explain the general layout of the editable poly menu, Material menu, Rendering menus, and the Export/Import menus

Second video: Step by Step tutorial of how to create a basic crate mesh

Third Video: The infamous UVW Unwrapping procedure

Fourth Video: Creating and applying a texture and material for the object

Fifth video: how to properly Export the mesh with COL and LOD meshes

Then a final coding tutorial (non video) on how to create all the code required for the object, creating it, then placing the object in a map

Hopefully somebody will get something good out of it, and please I'd still love to hear other peoples request, I'd appreciate if this thread didn't get locked so people could post their needs/ideas as well.

Thanks guys!
Archimonday

Post by Archimonday »

I would be tempted to start up my old Youtube Channel 1942Tutorials again, but its a matter of time and when I can manage to get the free time to record, edit, and upload all those hours of tutorial.

The ones currently on that YouTube Channel are kind of poor and disorganized. If I started again id start by explaining the basics of 3ds Max, what all the tools do, etc. and then continue on. BF2 would probably be my first topic since its still pretty fresh in my mind, and slowly I could maybe expand and attempt to explain BF1942 some, as I remember it.
mrhowdoimodClassic

Uhm, are you saying I shouldn't work on mine? I'm not sure what the purpose of your reply was. I mean if you're just going to make more video tutorials I minus well not start then we'll have double.
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

Pretty sure thats not what Archi's saying :)

The more tuts the better for sure. there are many skills each of us have in particular so its doubtful that one person could cover it all.

Maybe you could look at setting up a general bf42 tutorials account and perhaps have some common access details for a few select people.. dunno.. maybe heheh
Archimonday

Post by Archimonday »

Haha, thats not what im saying at all, don't take it personally. If anything you have slightly inspired me to wanna make a few tuts.

I have no problem sharing the youtube account information, we would just have to make sure that we label videos properly with information and annotations so people know the details. For instance, who made them, what they are about, which game they are for etc. I originally created the channel to accumulate a large resource of hands on video tutorials for Battlefield, that covered all aspects of the modding of the games.