Custom Map questions and things

For info on the site, community and 'battlefieldy' things
Kuyong_Chuin

Custom Map questions and things

Post by Kuyong_Chuin »

OK, I had this idea for a custom map, which I hinted at the other day, so I'm going to let you in on what it deals with and if anyone has any ideas or wants to pitch in on the project feel free to let me know since I know I'll need help with this especially since I still have not worked the bugs out of the battlecraft tools. I started working on the models I will need for the map. Basically there is only one model that needs to be added and one that needs to have a few weapons added to it to make it historically correct.

I have a ruff idea on how I want to work the map but it still a work in progress. The US side will start out with two carriers, a sub, a destroyer, a battleship and one base that is a ways off from the target and battlegroup. The one US base is a non-capture airstrip for landing the bombers. The “Big E” will have four fighters no SBD's for defense of the battlegroup. The Hornet will be armed with two versions of the bomber I'm working on, one equipped with iron bombs the other with napalm bombs.

This will be an objective map or at least that is the idea at the moment. The Japanese will have five air bases and two factories. In the bay in a dock will be a carrier that isn't finished. We just leave off any planes or landing craft on it for this. Two of type38 or tangos to act as picket ships a Destroyer in the bay. The idea is the bombers leave the carrier and has the knock out the two factories and all five towers. The sub has to sneak into the harbor and sink the carrier while this bombing is going on. The US Destroyer has to sink the two picket ships. The Battlewagon can assist the bombers with the raid plus help protect the carriers.

To simplify things I was planning on using a existing model modified to look pretty much like the one needed. So I extracted the all Junker files out of BF42 Battle of Briton and imported the fuselage into max and modified the tail section of the model to look somewhat like it should except it has an extra vertical stabilizer so I don't have to mess with the animation and physics. Then I moved to the nose of the plane to square off the canopy and there is where I ran into a problem. I didn’t realize that the gun port is sticking through the top rear of the canopy.

So here I am with a model that has a gunport in a place I don't know what to do with at the moment. Right now it is under the conversion piece I made to fit it and I added the turret canopy the model needs. Before I start cutting holes in my work I have to ask a few questions. First how hard is it going to be to rework that gunner so it has twin 50s that work 360 degrees like the belly gunner on the B-17 instead of the twin 30s stuck in the back of the canopy with maybe a 45 degrees each way of shooting angle?

The other question is how do you or where I should say do you make room for two more people or bots in a sub and how do you get the bots to man the weapons when on the surface and come inside when you dive? If you look at a Gato Sub it has a 5” deck gun in front of the conning tower, a 40mm AA gun behind the conning tower, and a twin 50 on the deck binoculars view of the conning tower. It carried 24 “fish” with six forward tubes and four after tubes. What do we get a sub that has two forward tubes and that is it.

Third question is, Is there a way for you to have a crosshairs in 3rd person mode in a plane or chopper other than the nose cam.

If you have not guest it by the loose description this is basically The Doolittle Raid with an added twist from another mission with the sub sneaking in Tokyo Bay. We might have to tweak the engines of the modified Junkers so they have the power of the AC-47’s engines It seems to take off slower than the spook and I tested launching a spook off a carrier already. I have to angle the plane to clear the island on the deck but I go it air born. The Junker is a smaller plane so if we boost the power we should be able to do a straight takeoff with no problem. With how I have it modified it pretty much looks like a NA-B-25 Mitchell now.

I have what the bay looks like in shape, I have the over all lay out, where everything is suppose to be at the start of the map. I think it we be a fun map to play especially with bunch of players. Hopefully we can get the bots to work good enough to make it fun even in single player mode.

Sorry for the long post.
Last edited by Kuyong_Chuin on Mon May 10, 2010 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
If thy sleepth in a bed of roses, thy will most likely awake with thorns in thy backside if thou doeth not prepareth thy bed beforeth thy lie down.
Coroner47

Re: Custom Map questions and things

Post by Coroner47 »

1st off its refreshing to hear that someone else here has knowledge of such great events & weaponry of ww2. Plus... i thought i was the only person here that knew what the "spooky" was. For all those who don't know, the "spooky" was a Dakota converted to fly "spooky" ... meaning it had guns on one side of the aircraft & would circle a target area un-loading those guns on the gunner & pilot scopes matching target. Today we have the ac-130 Spectre which "flys spooky", which is basically the new version of the Dakota Spooky.

As for Kuyong_Chuin's questions.... i don't know! :oops:
Pray hard, die fast
Kuyong_Chuin

Re: Custom Map questions and things

Post by Kuyong_Chuin »

Coroner47 Thanks, My Dad, my Uncle, and myself was in the navy so I know alot of old military terms. I was always good in history and if I would have to guess, I'm probably the oldest person on this forum. :lol:
I'm working on a few 3d models not counting the ones I'm doing for Black Mamba for anyone that wants a copy of them when they are done left me know. I am working on the following models. A PBY-6A Black Cat Catalina, P-61 Black Widow, P-38 Lightning, and the F-82 Twin Mustang. I'll let you guys know when they are done and then someone can tell me where they want me to upload them.
If thy sleepth in a bed of roses, thy will most likely awake with thorns in thy backside if thou doeth not prepareth thy bed beforeth thy lie down.