Modifying bf1942.exe

For info on the site, community and 'battlefieldy' things
fo0k

Modifying bf1942.exe

Post by fo0k »

I understand little to nothing about decompiling or editing an executable but it seems inevitable that it will happen for bf42.
Punkbuster support being one practical example but the desire to push the engine is probably the main reason. Add true self-shadowing, have more than 2 teams 'alliance/skirmish game mode', larger play areas, more than 64 players... and a whole bunch of smaller ctd causers which could be fixed.

It's not something that is at all crucial but would simply be cool/amazing to be able to add functionality like this.

Let's ignore the legalities for now..
So feed this thread with any thoughts on this.. It may all come together some day.
Apache Thunder

Re: Modifying bf1942.exe

Post by Apache Thunder »

Lets concentrate on the simple things first! :D

The thing I want to see most is the self shadowing and dynamic shadows showing up on statics and water and not just the terrain. BF2 has this and it has little effect on performance.

Also another possible simple add is the fix of the weather system. There are some commands left in the game that allow to make proper weather effects, but the code never worked.

There is also the skidmark commands. They might actually work. But since I don't have access to the beta of the game (not the singleplayer/multiplayer demos! The actual beta!), I can't say for sure whether these commands actually work. I tried a few settings and managed to get a CTD out of it. So perhaps the commands actually still do something. :P

The beta might also have the weather commands in a still functional state.

Another thing is a fix to the sprite limit. This one should be somewhat easier then enabling the weather code system. Since good weather effects can be made with the standard effect system using sprites but hitting 5000 or more at once causes CTDs despite the fact that they don't really lag much at all. (Though particles are a different story).

Best bet to make this all happen is to enlist the services of a hacker.

No, not the kiddies who download the hacks. The dudes that actually make them. You have to know a bit about the code to actually make a hack and making one that enables extra stuff like the stuff mentioned above should be easier then actually modifying the EXE code.

It sounds shady at best I know. But it could be one route to make this happen!
ImageImageImage
I have cameras in your head!
freddy

Post by freddy »

i guess the .DLL files holds some stuff to, thinking about that bloom effect for example.
mikex222

Post by mikex222 »

.dll files are library files for executables... just like with battlefield

you have .con files in its library that hold the code...
but with the .dll files its just has straight code, no files in the .dll files.

i sorta got into ASM a bit and also modded a few .exe files but that was like aegis ago. id like to try and help with this...
ill start today.
Join Me At The West
You're Welcome To Join My Town Any Time, This Is Just a Internet Game. Nothing More.
MR PINK BALLS

Post by MR PINK BALLS »

It would take some serious reverse engineering.
Image Image

I <3 Ironmen
mikex222

Post by mikex222 »

MR PINK BALLS wrote:It would take some serious reverse engineering.
you got that right...
ive made accuracy hacks and such for battlfied b4... like along time ago... im not at remembering stuff.
wat have i done hmm...
ive made a accuracy hack for all weps... works multiplayer.... i didnt like it so i didnt release and it never got used lolz...
ammo hack easiest...
health hack... one prob with that is the health goes down then gets to 0 and you still alive but your lying down looking dead...
so that ment that you could lay on the ground and wait for peps to come ... but looks silly when running around.
made a sprint hack... but "Everyone" runs super fast if u use it ...
rapid fire for all weapons.

i cracked winrar lolz... just for the hell of it...
made no-cd crack ... cant remember wot game but yeah
don't no how to make aimbots... id like to know how ... so that i can make one for my lego mod... it needs it for the 3rd person view.

dammit this site want me to sign a petition for a "battlefield 1942 SDK" i don't know if i should sign it...
it says

To: The Developers of BF42( EA, DICE )

As part of the Battlefield 1942 Community we request a SDK for the game, so that the games shelf life is extended, total conversions have more expandabilaty and can provide the game with great modifications.

Sincerely,

they spelt expandability wrong... lolz...
this is just to get the game engines code... it all looks too fishy
who says i should get it.... i have to give them a username and my email address... so they would have alot of details such as where i live by just getting my email address.
Join Me At The West
You're Welcome To Join My Town Any Time, This Is Just a Internet Game. Nothing More.
MR PINK BALLS

Post by MR PINK BALLS »

lets make our own and send it
Image Image

I <3 Ironmen
motoko

Post by motoko »

MR PINK BALLS wrote:lets make our own and send it
If only they would heed to it.....
mikex222

Post by mikex222 »

MR PINK BALLS wrote:lets make our own and send it
what do you mean by lets make our own... our own what ? :shock:
I'm confused. :?
Join Me At The West
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

Dice apparently lost the source for 1942... It's certainly not on site. But different people think it should be in some data warehouse somewhere in a backup. I searched high and low for it whilst there as I was keen to suggest offering a free but potentially ad supported download of the full game.

Any work people are able to achieve could be offered up to dice for sure. Nobody is looking to financially gain from this. Perhaps a level of success and achievement from 'us' would encourage support from dice in an actual official update. E.g. They provide source and we (an authorised team) do the work for free/kudos/community goodwill.

This is the time for the hackers to hack 'good' stuff and not cheats etc..