Modifying bf1942.exe

For info on the site, community and 'battlefieldy' things
mikex222

Re: Modifying bf1942.exe

Post by mikex222 »

i doubt that they would be happy to give us the source code...
we not aloud to reverse engineer in any way... but i don't care, nothings stopping me from at least trying...
man this is so hard to find where the players limit is... :cry:
i sorta got the limit to change but man!!!... its every where.. i only change part of it....
in the game at the menu it says 120 instead of 64 so i managed to change the limit here but ingame its still 64 player
Join Me At The West
You're Welcome To Join My Town Any Time, This Is Just a Internet Game. Nothing More.
freddy

Post by freddy »

haven´t there been other games developed on the bf42 source? and isnt the galactic mod an official lucas arts thing or is just i that remember it wrong? maybe they had access to the source? but more important can one buy it if its found?
mikex222

Post by mikex222 »

:cry: i think I've gotten dumber since i stopped reverse engineering. i wasn't a pro at it any ways and don't think i ever will be.
i think ill just go sit in my dark little corner of the room for the rest of my life.
Join Me At The West
You're Welcome To Join My Town Any Time, This Is Just a Internet Game. Nothing More.
Nodbrother

Post by Nodbrother »

Been searching for a decompiler that actually produced a result when the bf1942.exe was put in. It produced a lot of mumbo jumbo. Maybe you can use this.
mikex222

Post by mikex222 »

does any one know if any bf game has true self-shading in it...
if so please host the .exe so that i can take a look at it...
Join Me At The West
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

bf2/2142 does :)

dont have exe to hand but someone will for sure.

...its possible that someone has already tried to decompile the bf2 exe so that might help...
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder »

Could also try taking a look at the shaders.rfa file. Currently, vanilla BF1942 is the only mod (well only a mod in a technical sense. :P ) that has that rfa. In it are VSO files among a few other files. I researched them a bit and it turns out they are compiled DirectX vertex shaders. Much in the same way that the FX shader files for BF2. But older format. I have not really found the correct version of the DirectX SDK needed to compile them. Plus I would have to find or either code from scratch the VS files since there is no way of decompiling existing compiled ones. (my best guess is DirectX 8 SDK is needed to compile them)

The game does respond to changes to these files. My last attempt to modify one cause animated meshes to not have any textures or lighting to them. (flags, soldier meshes, tank treasds...those things. :P)

If done right perhaps self shadowing can be achieved with these files. Though as I know it, you can't create "new" shaders. Only modify the existing ones. ;)
ImageImageImage
I have cameras in your head!
mikex222

Post by mikex222 »

i can't do it, i just simply can't.true self-shading is way to complex for me.

grrr my puny lil 16 yr old brain :P ... i started getting into alot when i was 14 so thats 2 yrs of wotever that got me into some coding of C and C++ a bit of Jscript and javascript... also easy peasy batch script. also vb script. and vb... visual basic lolz...
registry stuff so simple... asm learning again and man i dont remember much...

if i had like 5 yrs of asm, C , C++ and vb... i probably would have achieved something by now...

one big problem i get into way too much.... coding/modeling/texturing/making music/dance.. but only perfect fewer of them. :cry:

sorry i don't think i can help in any area in this ok... :cry:
I've retired from modifying executables unless i badly need to or feel like it... :cry:

:cry:

back to the normal, not doing so much days but still busy with living life. man friends can be a hand full... also they can sometimes expect too much from u.

don't know why I posted this, I think I'm just bored. I'm going to make a real nice song just for my self. later dudes im out for a while
Join Me At The West
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder »

Perhaps self shading is a bit complex, but what about improved shading? As in, would you be able to improve the detail/quality of the terrain dynamic shadows? Also what about reenabling the lens flares? I've been wanting to get those working for ages now. The coding and structure (even the shader is still being loaded for it) is all still there, but there is something in the exe that is disabling the rendering of it. Early betas had this. You can take a look at the exe for the Rallisport Challenge 2 game if you want. That one runs off an older version of the Refractor 2 engine. ;)
ImageImageImage
I have cameras in your head!