whats happened at ServerSideModding.com?

For info on the site, community and 'battlefieldy' things
Iced Earth

Re: whats happened at ServerSideModding.com?

Post by Iced Earth »

No unfortunately...you'd need the database files, php on the server, etc etc. I don't think he would like to share those. :lol: At least it will be in html format so you can click around and browse threads.
Senshi

Post by Senshi »

Could the layout of this forum be adapted to a more ... regular one? It's kinda confusing, and I think we all are creatures of habit.

I for one would prefer the profile box next to the posts be on the left side instead of the right...or at least make it so each member can choose for hisself.

The rest seems pretty fine so far :) .

Who actually hosts this website now? fo0k?
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

yes ive had bfmods for a long time doing different things over the years.. plan to just leave it now as a BB for all and any bf modding. as I mentioned there are a few new pc BF titles arriving with us over the next year so we should have plenty to discuss.

I know what you mean about the layout. this is partly the new version of phpbb which is important from a security perspective but it will be simple to sway that in the theme/styles Im sure.
LightSpeed///

Post by LightSpeed/// »

Could we by chance have a BF3 discussion section on what we hope to see or what we might be able to do with it.
AKA WhatThe
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

totally :)

I will get it setup this evening
Iced Earth

Post by Iced Earth »

I mirrored the site yesterday, but it picked up a lot of crap. Now that I know how to use the program hopefully the mirror will be thinner...I made sure to exclude the memberlist page, posting.php, report topic, bookmarking, printable versions of pages, etc etc.

I'm going to a movie but letting it run. Its been going for 2 hours and has 1 gig done (not all from ssm, but photobucket and etc where images are posted on the page -- keeping this since some are important to user posted tutorials), so it should be done when I get back...the first time it was ~2-3 gig.

After its done I'll work on posting it somewhere, or uploading a zipped version.
Iced Earth

Post by Iced Earth »

But to be fair really, it is a link to a competing site. Also thats good, I don't want him seeing that I copied the entire site of ssm.com. :mrgreen:
Iced Earth

Post by Iced Earth »

Oh and a status report of sorts on my mirroring of ssm.com:

Removed empty folders from the download
Removed useless pictures (that damn number thread, FML)
In the process of removing ALL ADS FROM THE MIRROR!

I'm copying all the files now as a backup incase I screw something up with the ad batch removal (a simple find/replace in Microsoft's Expressions Web prog)...only 98 minutes to go on the copy! lol

Zipped I'm guessing it will be in the neighborhood of 300-500 meg. Not bad!
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

thats pretty small.. at 3-400.. I imagine hes well aware of this site and the discussion but thats fine.. its good to have a backup as people have done with the mdt.planetbattlefield.gamespy site in the past.. here we should build new content and something fresh.

I understand him getting upset with linking to sites but its never happened previously.. the approach at SSM was poorly managed and provoked it.
Why2Kay used to do 'basically nothing' to run that site and yet it ran perfectly.. all 'Administrator' had to do was the same and maybe have a name...
Instead he chose a purely financial approach to it all which was bound to cause reaction, anger and resistance. TIny things make a lot of difference and I simply dont want to aid money in his pockets by contributing now although its hard to avoid such a great resource. Lets face it. That site costs between nothing and almost nothing to run... there are no running costs.

Ryan gave a big 'fuck you' to the community by dismissing it as he has done.

Even "Hey guys, Im giving the site to a friend. he knows fuck all about the game but will keep the site running" would have been 100% better than what has happened.

None of it make sense to me still.
LightSpeed///

Post by LightSpeed/// »

Admin even blanked out the website in the pm I received, Ryan would never have done that, and whenever someone mentioned things he didn't want going around, he would tell them don't make it public but you can PM each other, this censorship has crossed the line, I condemn Admin's actions, SSM.com is now dead to me (other than our copy of it)
AKA WhatThe