Automatic Download

For info on the site, community and 'battlefieldy' things
=ArA=DeathFromAbove

Automatic Download

Post by =ArA=DeathFromAbove »

Im sure this has been discussed somewhere.

Is it possible to have BFV download custom maps upon joining the server from a website as a person enters the server if they dont have the map.

This feature is in crysis and other newer games?

So Im assuming not, but has it been considered in a mod using the refractor 2 engine for BFV?
fo0k

Re: Automatic Download

Post by fo0k »

A couple of guys have tried to create a third party app that would do this downloading for you. it would check the server then download the map. Its not seamless though but is perhaps something you could advertise heavily in the welcome message of the server to tell peoople to download the application..

would be great... for sure.
LightSpeed///

Post by LightSpeed/// »

I have an application that will do just that pretty much, although it is not mine and could, with a little edit of the xml file, work on any server. What you would need to do is to put the .rfa for the map into a .rar and upload it to the download server.

Only problem is that you would need to run it before BFV and it automatically downloads to a mod folder in the BF2142 directory
AKA WhatThe
=ArA=DeathFromAbove

Thanks guys, I would be most interested in these programs.

Can you guys upload them to the site so i can download?

cheers
Poow

Post by Poow »

The FH1 Toolbox is pretty much what you want.
You’re entering a world of pain!
=ArA=DeathFromAbove

So heres where Im at with the FH1 Toolkit.

Pretty interesting that a new version is coming out for all battlefield games this year.

http://www.pixel-fighter.com/modules.ph ... pic&t=2747
Jeronimo

Post by Jeronimo »

pixel-fighter.com wrote:User can buy an "Single-User-Version" in this they can import / load Settingsfiles from there Gaming Comunitys. (Planned Price per one User 6,00 Euro inlcuding Advertisement from 3rd Party Companys. 20,00 euro for 1 User without any Advertisement (only from PDHSoft). Three User-Version: 14,40 euro/ 48,00 euro)
:|

I've been thinking about doing something like this, too. I'm a VB/VB.NET programmer and once started doing the first steps towards such a tool, but quit when I realized that there's more things I'd like to implement and the whole thing getting to complex, so I'd need to start and plan all over.

My ideas were:
- make it free / open source (!)
- client app that has to be run manually (not seamless, as fook said, but no better idea yet)
- multiple servers configurable. These "configurations" are the URLs of XML config files. These can be downloaded and inside there are version numbers (!) and URLs to the files to download.
- the downloads will have to be minimods. A clan "XYZ" could then create a minimod "XYZ_mod" which is based on DCF and includes only a simple additional map, but could as well include a new objects.rfa, textures.rfa, ... whatever CSM they want.
- by using http as the download protocol, you could put this dynamic updater's "server" on any webspace with a webserver installed. Config files could be written manually, so you wouldn't even need to have any knowledge of PHP etc.

So far I only thought about doing this for BF42. I don't know modding in BFV, but it should be no problem to make this work for it as well...
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

one thing which could help it from an 'automatic' perspective.. I have noticed that when you join a server and you dont have the map, bf1942 creates a folder in the root install directory called bf1942/levels/'name of the map that was not found'
Only does this for not founds...

if you have an app that monitors that folder it could auto detect when a 'new map folder is created' with the name..) then it could download that map.. and possibly even close your client and re-open.. and automatically try and join the server you attempted to join before.

that would be as automatic as it gets.. just needs a client restart after maps installed..

also the tool should ideally not work with downloading rfa's (often too big..) and should accept rars then extract to the levels directory
freddy

Post by freddy »

fo0k wrote:one thing which could help it from an 'automatic' perspective.. I have noticed that when you join a server and you dont have the map, bf1942 creates a folder in the root install directory called bf1942/levels/'name of the map that was not found'
Only does this for not founds...
woah! i have found sometimes a folder in my documents and settings, bf1942 with pieces of a map in there like the ObjectSpawnTemplates.con file. had no idea how it ended up there, i thought maybe it was a cache file somehow or perhaps from battlecraft altho i dont use it much.

but i like your idea of "map not found" triggering a download somehow
Jeronimo

Post by Jeronimo »

In some of these folders there's a "loadcounter.dat" and in some of them I have further folders like "mods\BF1942\Settings\Profiles\Jeronimo". Anyone know what that means?

And what if the client has the file, but the server file is a CSM and doesn't work with the original? The downloader wouldn't cover that when only monitoring the bf1942\bf1942 folder...