Rebooting Router?

For info on the site, community and 'battlefieldy' things
modserver

Rebooting Router?

Post by modserver »

Im trying to port forward, but when i hit save, it says this:

" Your changes have been saved. The router must be rebooted for the changes to take effect. You can reboot now, or you can continue to make other changes and reboot later. "

Will this "reboot" mess anything up?
Coroner47

Re: Rebooting Router?

Post by Coroner47 »

Should be just like power cycling the unit (power on & off). Your network will be temporarily down until the router fully boots.
Pray hard, die fast
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder »

Yes that is normal. Shouldn't do any harm. Just make sure you don't have anything important downloading/uploading while you reboot the router as it will interrupt any active connections. Aside from that, it's harmless.
ImageImageImage
I have cameras in your head!
modserver

Post by modserver »

I was brave enough to click reboot, and it said i did not have permission. =(
Coroner47

Post by Coroner47 »

You'll probably need to login to the router as the admin or user w/ password. Your router, like most, is probably setup with a pass & login to prevent outside ppl (ppl you don't want) to access the router & your network.
Pray hard, die fast
modserver

Post by modserver »

Uhhgg i tried all the passwords It woulda been set as, Could I just hit "reset" on the router, or some button on it.

Yeah, i really am that dumb
Coroner47

Post by Coroner47 »

lol there's different ways for different routers on how to reset the settings & password. If the router has a reset button... it'll probably be a small round hole, probably on the back of the unit. You can use a un-folded paper clip or Bic pen to press the button in. Usually its holding the reset button down for 3-5secs or until the power light changes on the front of the unit. Or if there's no reset button, power off the router, press & hold the power button (if a button not a switch) for 3-10secs & that usually resets back to defaults. I would check your manual 1st though before you get too deep into the problem. If you do reset it & don't have a manual you might need the default password. All units have a manufacturers default password which you should be able to find using google & searching for make & model of unit. But check your manual before going any further!!
Pray hard, die fast
freddy

Post by freddy »

i cant change any mayor settings on my router using wlan, have to do it via cable

(edit spelling)
Last edited by freddy on Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder »

Yes please check your router's manual (google it if you don't physically have the manual) and see what the default password/username is. If you don't know the default password, then resetting the router will do you no good.
ImageImageImage
I have cameras in your head!
modserver

Post by modserver »

Thanks.

Here is another internet problem I'm having... :oops:

I'm trying to create a new network file on my ps2, because It says my old one's wont work on a new console.

--Everytime I get to the end of making one, it automatically tests my connection, and everytime it says its "Connection has timed out" and wont let me create it.

It use to work just fine.

P.S. I try to come here for my retard questions because you're all smarter than every other forum.