Death of GFMod domain....

For info on the site, community and 'battlefieldy' things
Apache Thunder

Death of GFMod domain....

Post by Apache Thunder »

GFMod was a mod lead by Marshall Nord and I helped out a lot on improving the mod. Suddenly last month, the domain for his forum expired (he had been inactive lately, but thought that was normal, since that sometimes happens on a sorta annual time now a days).

So I'm wondering if anyone knows what happened? Kinda sad to see the site die like this. There was some threads I made over on that forum that detailed some of my earlier discoveries of modding BF1942, and now they are gone forever (unless the forum still technically exists as a IP. But I doubt anyone happens to remember/know what the IP was that the forum was hosted on.)

Most of my threads/posts were in a members/mod team only section, so sites like archive.org couldn't archive it. :(
ImageImageImage
I have cameras in your head!
freddy

Re: Death of GFMod domain....

Post by freddy »

gfmod.com 64.74.223.37 but it seems to be a shared IP on a webhotell so not much luck.
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

Well, this is definitely a sign that we should start backing up the information we find, including what is on this forum.
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder »

Looks like from some google searches that gfmod domain is currently in "Redemption Period" which means that it's 30 days from being "released" and available to be registered. I might buy it up so that it's still there in case Marshall Nord shows up. Any thoughts on this? :D
ImageImageImage
freddy

Post by freddy »

nah, just go for it

he propably have some backup databases so you can get things going again
freddy

Post by freddy »

if you find him i mean
duffman

Post by duffman »

You might get the domain name, but not access to the site. The problem is the web hosting where all the data is! And some of the hosting companies are a bit strict and might wipe the data as soon as payments stops (but they always have backups somewhere !). You could try to contact the hosting company and ask if they can provide you the email address to the owner of the domain name (whom bought the hosting..), or if they can forward an email to the owner. But if the owner is "gone" or can't be contacted your only chance of getting hold of that site contents is through the hosting company.
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

Go for it! Gooooooooooooooooo!
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™
Senshi

Post by Senshi »

The domain will not help you with the content, as duffman said. Contact the hoster and try to get some contact info soon, that's the only chance you have. They will not and can not give anyone access to the content except the original client.
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder »

Yeah I'm aware that getting the domain wouldn't instantly bring the original forum back. I was interested in getting it so I can keep it reserved just in-case Marshall came back and wanted to revive the domain so he could restore the forums. The longer the domain sits on the open market the greater chance it will be lost forever to another buyer for years to come.

But it all depends on what price I can get it at.
ImageImageImage