Death of GFMod domain....

For info on the site, community and 'battlefieldy' things
pepsi_max2k

Re: Death of GFMod domain....

Post by pepsi_max2k »

>> The domain will not help you with the content, as duffman said.

actually... if you just register the domain, then set the name servers to the required ones for the host, that *should* work fine - visits to the domain will direct to the host, who will direct to the correct account on the server? would only fail if anyone's changed the hosting details, or that's expired too.
buschhans

Post by buschhans »

Since last year i didn't hear from Marshall Nord.
Most active at last it was Cristhian from mexico.
I was shocked, as i see the gfmod.com site is not available.
I will hope Marshall is allright.
Apache, indeed. There was lot of important content for basic modding and more. And a lot of information and help threads. I will hope all get back online.
If do you like the BF 1942 Mods or search a Download please visit: http://hg-clan.blogspot.de/
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

Can't we get a hold of the source and host it here, similar to the ServerSideModding backup?
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder »

Ok according to Godaddy, the domain is available for around $12.99 (plus ICANN Fee which is around 0.18 I think. This is all in US dollars by the way). A tad to late though as I won't have money again till next month. (though I honestly didn't think it would become available this quickly) If there is a interest in trying to save this domain, I could set up a PayPal donation thing, so I can get the domain faster. It might get bought up before July. It doesn't have to be me though, one of you could also decide to pick it up. I don't have much experience handling domains, so I may just have Fo0k or someone else I trust manage it if I end up being the one that gets it.

So let me know what y'all want. :D
pepsi_max2k wrote:>> The domain will not help you with the content, as duffman said.

actually... if you just register the domain, then set the name servers to the required ones for the host, that *should* work fine - visits to the domain will direct to the host, who will direct to the correct account on the server? would only fail if anyone's changed the hosting details, or that's expired too.

That would depend on whether or not the file hosting/database of the forums was also hosted by the same company that he got the domain from. If that was the case, then the files/forums it self is gone forever or until Marshall comes back as he would be the only one still possessing the files (as the domain and file hosting would be under the same account and expire at the same time). If the file hosting was done separately, it might still be up somewhere but just under an IP or hostname not the same as gfmod. Which is one thing I would like to try and find out about. I did try and see if there was a way to trace what servers an expired domain used to point to, but that doesn't appear to be possible... :(

That's still a stretch though. Domains tend to have longer shelf lives then file hosting in terms of how payment schedules and such work out. So unfortunately the file hosting might have also expired by now as well. :(

EDIT:

Ok I went through the check out process to see the final prices. For one year as a basic domain with no included file hosting and without other bells and whistles like increased privacy related stuff etc, it comes to $13.17 for one year, and $28.34 for two years. I was expecting things to be more expensive, but not too surprising since gfmod isn't a very common phrase as I'm sure Godaddy would price certain words/phrases higher then others.
ImageImageImage
I have cameras in your head!
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

Another option is HelioHost. I run my site from it and it seems alright so far for a free host. Well, actually it seems great for a free host. I think the only issue I ever had was downtime during late nights. But that may have just been Google Chrome and their stupid experimentations team giving more trouble like usual.
freddy

Post by freddy »

I think the forum database might be more important then the domain name in this case, in worst case one can use another domain name and people will find the site eventually, but without the database there is nothing at all to show for
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder »

I was contacted the other day by Marshall Nord that he allowed the domain to expire since the filehosting and such was no longer affordable to him. But he does have a late December 2013 back up I believe and has said he's willing to pass those on to me. I've yet to hear from him again, but just letting you know hope is not lost. :D
ImageImageImage
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

Apache Thunder wrote:I was contacted the other day by Marshall Nord that he allowed the domain to expire since the filehosting and such was no longer affordable to him. But he does have a late December 2013 back up I believe and has said he's willing to pass those on to me. I've yet to hear from him again, but just letting you know hope is not lost. :D
Even though it's not up to date, I'm sure there are lots of useful tutorials and other information you can still retrieve from that one. It's nice of him to get in contact with you.
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder »

December was only about 6 months ago and the forum has been slow in activity between that and in March when it went offline. So I don't think much was lost as a result of the domain/filehost expiration.

(so really only a time scale of 3 to 4 months was lost and all the useful information was posted long before this)
ImageImageImage
freddy

Post by freddy »

good news!