Question regarding paid server hosts

For info on the site, community and 'battlefieldy' things
Diamondback

Question regarding paid server hosts

Post by Diamondback »

Hey all, hope you're enjoying yourselves during the holidays!

I had a question regarding paid servers, such as the servers you would get on Game Servers (gameservers.com).

I would like to buy a 32 slot server for the demo. This server would be Pure, Conquest and run 24/7 to get a maximum of clientele.

The server will be hosted in Germany, because that is where most of the demo clientele is located in my opinion (more Europeans play the game than Americans).

I would like to know if those game server sites give you the option to run the server continuously even if you close your PC, because I do not want to waste power having my PC opened 24/7 to run the server.
See my Strasbourg map project here.
freddy

Re: Question regarding paid server hosts

Post by freddy »

I think you can use a Ipad
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

freddy wrote:I think you can use a Ipad
yeah, Im pretty sure if your ipad is on, the server will run.. but I have no idea what happens on auto-lock.
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder »

Yes the dedicated server has a direct link to your brain and will know the moment you leave the computer or turn it off. Then it will magically turn off kicking all your players from the server.

Ok serously. Of coarse a remote server will remain running if you turn off your local computer. You might have gotten your local dedicated server confused with the remote dedicated server. They are seperate machines and do not depend on each other. Thus if you have your game hosted on a a remote server. Then your local machine (the computer you used to set up that remote server for example) doesn't need to stay on.

Unless you happen to call a server room inside a major server provider your home and live in it and use the same hardware as they do to go about your business. Otherwise...this is kinda of a stupid question....No offense. :P
ImageImageImage
I have cameras in your head!