A friendly request

For info on the site, community and 'battlefieldy' things
Diamondback

A friendly request

Post by Diamondback »

Hi all, I was just wondering if perhaps the admins could add an additional forum section for the demo modders out there (Battlefield 1942 Multiplayer Demo v1.0 and v1.1, Battlefield 1942 Secret Weapons of WWII Demo v1.45).

I'm asking this because these games being demos, sometime the SSM/CSM code has limitations (such as the 1 level limitation, obviously), but there's also a variety of different code that doesn't work on either demos, the MP demo being the most limited with practically no CSM being done there.

If we could have the chance to have our very own forum sections, one for the SW Demo and the other for the MP demo (under the same forum category, obviously), we could explain precisely the limitations related to each demo, and post our respective mods there for those who would like to one day mod our demos (it offers a good practice for those that are afraid to start modding the full game right away).
See my Strasbourg map project here.
Senshi

Re: A friendly request

Post by Senshi »

To this day I completely fail to grasp why people would still play the 1.0 or 1.1 versions or any of the demos. They are bug-ridden cheat&hackfests that don't offer any advantage over the proper 5$ WW2 anthology or by now the free Origin version. I have no problem with an additional forum section, certainly, it just really puzzles me.
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

This is true for the MP demo especially, and the patch that was made for it (which is very odd, because it is the only patched demo in Battlefield history I know, and probably the only patched demo I know).

The SW Demo, which runs on a more recent version of the BF1942 engine (v1.45), allows for a broad variety of modding and mapping, and is compatible with the BFSM. We have even made our own anticheat program, courtesy of Zoolander, for events such as cups and clan wars.
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

Senshi wrote:To this day I completely fail to grasp why people would still play the 1.0 or 1.1 versions or any of the demos. They are bug-ridden cheat&hackfests that don't offer any advantage over the proper 5$ WW2 anthology or by now the free Origin version. I have no problem with an additional forum section, certainly, it just really puzzles me.
I was wondering the same, but didn't want to say anything. Getting the demo and playing/modding it makes no sense to me.
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

Read my post again Swaffy and try to make sense out of it.
Senshi

Post by Senshi »

It still doesn't make real sense to me. Okay, I get what you mean, considering that EA only released the base BF42 as free game on Origin (I think?), but still: BF42 is cheap as dirt and absolutely everyone who seriously wants to play it can afford it.

And while the SW 1.45 version obviously is far better off than the first demo, the changes that were made up to 1.61 are quite extensive as well. True, most of them can be integrated with modding the .rfas, but some hardcoded stuff is mostly out of reach. Again, it's super cheap and you get a more stable, better mod-supported version of the game, plus a whole ocean of players&modders that work with that version already.
The only benefit I see is saving 5$, which is paid for with a lot of hazzle and "seclusion".

I personally find it a bit of a pity, having the playerbase split on these different game versions. Again, I'm only debating here. As I said, I am sure fook or Apache will get that forum up and running once they stumble over this.
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

its just not worth a section... There is maybe one thread per yeah related to this.

A single thread in 1942 modding will cover this topic I think.
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

I'm sure there will be more people posting in that section, at least give it a try for a certain period of time and see what happens from there.
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

BUMP
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

fo0k wrote:Its just not worth a section... There is maybe one thread per year related to this.

A single thread in 1942 modding will cover this topic I think.
I agree with this. Very seldom will I see a topic related to the demo.

If you don't want to pay $5, just get a torrent for the game, or get the Origin version. I don't see anything bad with getting a torrent if you already own the physical copy. Plus, the current version has an M1 Garand and the Type 5. It feels so weird carrying a No4/K98 as a US or Jap soldier on the Pacific islands. And if you only want one map in your mod, just make one map that works for it ... simple. I'll leave the thread be.
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™