Tumbleweed...

For info on the site, community and 'battlefieldy' things
fo0k

Tumbleweed...

Post by fo0k »

Did Dice come round and take back everyones 1942 discs?
Senshi

Re: Tumbleweed...

Post by Senshi »

No, DICE came around and gave everyone BF3 ;) .

I just think modding is beginning to close on BF42. The new generation of gaming kids doesn't even know what BF42 is, let alone have played it. "Our" generation of gamers has stuck with BF42 long, long after its peak and demise, keeping the banner high, but even for us there is an end. For me that end came when the BF42 campaign project I worked for came to a close (lack of players), really. I kept kicking a bit as I got myself involved with BG42, but some disputes there killed my remaining motivation fairly quickly and BG42 is about to release its absolutely final version as well, ceasing work after that.

Now there simply is not much left in the BF42 engine. The BG team is experimenting with the UDK and primary - exploratory - projects into Battlegroup 3 have begun, but as new engines require far more ressource input to get results, the outcome is uncertain. Still, I'm giving it a go, simply because currently the goal is to transfer most of the Battlegroup gameplay feeling (Realistic assets w/o losses in arcade gameplay value) over to a new engine.
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

heheh, well I think Christmas has a bit to do with it I guess too.

To be honest, I have the occasional bit of fun trying something like the Berlin lightning but nothing more than testing ideas and concepts.

So where does this site go from here? :)
Senshi

Post by Senshi »

Very good question, one I do not have an answer to :) . This is pretty much a 100% BF42 site, so I can't really think of a good "transfer". The modding niche for BF2&3 has already been extensively covered by other forums, so no point in taking this site there.
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

I will always cherish BF1942.

I even made my clan tag in BF3 "BF42" so I can always remember it while reminding others of 1942.
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder »

Yeah things have slowed down here a bit. I've been busy fixing up my electric bike and the usual days at work. :(
ImageImageImage
I have cameras in your head!
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

College.
PC Operating Systems, Computer Hardware, College Algebra.

Some days, I find myself doing ~10 hours of homework ... for one class.
On top of drawing and being a Major in KSI with leadership responsibilities.
Senshi

Post by Senshi »

University.
Geography.

Most days, I find myself doing ~10 hours of nothing ... for all classes.
On top of that I regularly go partying or drinking with friends. Life's a bitch, really.

Sorry, just couldn't resist ;) . It's amusing how all students moan about their insane workloads, but after a bit of pressure-asking you usually quickly find out they simply are lazy as shit and are going for the "most efficient" way: Do as least as possible while still getting your required credits. Bitching about how much work is left to be done helps in arousing pity and is a good way to convince others (especially profs) to help alleviate your "burdens" or reduce your assignments. I yet have to find a student that really really is swamped in workload because there was no way around it. There are some who actually work/study all the time, but they are maniacs who decided out of free will to do far more than required, necessary or actually sensible. Aside the visiting mandatory classes or seminars I don't really have to do much for university. I do some "extras" that really interest me (for "fun", I don't even get credits for them), but I don't consider myself overloaded with work...
I'm just lazy and really enjoy my vast amounts of free time, and again, that is something that probably every honest guy aims for anyway...Having the liberty and opportunity to do whatever you want (aside the financial restrictions I live under, obviously) when you want is really nice. For a while.

And yes, I'm following the courses and will soon get my degree. It's just these things come easy to me and in these latter semesters stuff gets easier and easier (less "learning by heart", but more project-oriented practical work). Actual learning consists of 1-week powerlearning prior to exam week. Absolutely sufficient.

But after I get that Bsc I fear I'll actually have to work...maybe I should attach a Msc study just to keep floating a bit longer :P .
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

Flex course for Computer Hardware
PC Operating Systems
... College Algebra.

Even though it may seem like "just two computer classes", they've been giving me a lot of homework. I recently had 10 hours of home work one night. And I went through a mud pile just trying to get the Fedora virtual machine to work on my machine. My teacher and I sat after class for 1.5 hours trying to find the problem. No dice. So I took it home and my dad figured it out in 30 minutes.
GoodDayToDie!!

Post by GoodDayToDie!! »

Once I make my millions I'm going to hire a team(hopefully you guys) to make Interstate82 to be a free standing game with full single/multi-player modes and whatnot on the newest engine. And make $$$,$$$,$$$,$$$!!!

Yes, BF42 fought long and valiantly, but alas, the foes are just too strong in numbers. We are out gunned.

I only make maps for is82 because there is still a small group of people playing.....but for how much longer we all ask?!

Like BG, I want to see is82 have all of it's loose ends tied up, so we can stand tall for when the lights go down for good. And walk away comfortably knowing that everything was done.