Portable version of 1942?

For info on the site, community and 'battlefieldy' things
fo0k

Portable version of 1942?

Post by fo0k »

I see lots of portable versions of software out there.. (rarely official...)

so is it possible to do the same with 1942?
Swaffy

Re: Portable version of 1942?

Post by Swaffy »

Maybe on a Windows Phone 7. If you are a beast at programming.

Phones have a totally different OS than PCs, so the executive file would have to be changed along with some of the other game mechanics.
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™
Senshi

Post by Senshi »

I think you misunderstood ;) .

In the PC world, "portable" is a term describing the ability of a program to be run without need of installation. Basically: Pack the game on a USB-stick, plug it in on ANY computer, launch the .exe and game on.

The one big issue is this usually requires some exe-Modding, which in turn requires a skilled programmer with lots of patience to work it out. Things that usually have to be removed: CD-check, retrieval of registry entries.
It gets more difficult if some data/settings are stored outside the program's folder (e.g. in "My Documents"). You'd have to change the exe/dll and tell em to look for the data in the program's folder.
freddy

Post by freddy »

i just tried and put bf42 on a usb stick and it worked fine. i used a nocd exe. i already have my registry set up but alais you may need one registry key for game version and one for the cdkey if you planning on playing online. (havent tried those nokey servers out there)

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\EA GAMES\Battlefield 1942]

"INSTALLEDVERSION"="1.06.101"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\EA GAMES\Battlefield 1942\1.00.001]
theres tools for register a cdkey in the games eReg folder.
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

I think nocd is fine but it would have to be a genuine cd key type setup that was used I think.. not keen on hacked servers really.

so im not sure what you mean about the 'tools for register cdkey in the games ereg folder'.. are you suggesting everything could be held on the memory stick?
freddy

Post by freddy »

theres three programs in the eReg folder and if you for some reason have no key in the register you can use one of the program once to register a key. i just cant remember witch of the program it was, propably the "Battlefield 1942_Code.exe"

i have bf42 on a "extra" harddrive so if i have to format c: and put in new windows for example, then i dont have to install the game all over again. just update the registry and put in my key with that "Battlefield 1942_Code.exe"

for the "game version regkey" its just a .txt document but renamed to for example bf1942.reg

atleast this works with winxp, cannot swear it works with win7.
fo0k wrote: so im not sure what you mean about the 'tools for register cdkey in the games ereg folder'.. are you suggesting everything could be held on the memory stick?
in short, yes.
freddy

Post by freddy »

just tested, id put the usb stick in a fresh installed win7 64 machine and started the game in "create a game" mode. didn´t try any online mode or registering a key as the computer has no internet.
motoko

Post by motoko »

Just install a nocd patch and run Battlefield1942_code.exe and insert your CD Key. You can then play on any server with minimum "installation".
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

I was going to say, I got a "No CD" crack from a torrent a while back so that I don't have to play BF1942 with my old scratched CDs.

If I install that No CD crack to the game on an external hard drive, it will be able to run correctly, right?
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™
Senshi

Post by Senshi »

Yes, it just seems you have to create a registry entry to have your CD-key available on "other" computers. A far from perfect solution to make BF42 really portable, as that would mean leaving your unencrypted CD-Key on a public computer, for example. The very least you should create as well are two batch files to "install reg key" and "uninstall reg key" on the computer you want to use the portable version on.