Portable version of 1942?

For info on the site, community and 'battlefieldy' things
fo0k

Re: Portable version of 1942?

Post by fo0k »

To have the whole thing in a single wrapper exe would be perfect really. You would patch the exe once with your key.. Then after that you just run the exe anywhere and it writes the reg.
I don't think leaving a 1942 serial on a random pc is too serious.. But maybe a wrapper like this can even execute the registry delete when the game is exited?
Senshi

Post by Senshi »

Sure, registry is no biggie, usually.

Only issue is that many public PCs have the registry locked for "customers" so no changes are possible. The best fix really would be to change the bf1942.exe so it looks for the CD key not in the registry but in a text file in the game folder itself. That would guarantee "portable". But I fear that would require someone of dierighty's knowledge level to do. And still quite some time to find the correct Hex.
Dennis|8749236

Post by Dennis|8749236 »

Well..
I think you dont need to edit it at all.
Give ur game a no CD Patch, then put it on ur USB.
It works fine for me.
Once b4 i reinstalled my whole system (formatted Disk C but not Disk D which it have my game on it), and i run it when i done reinstallation, it still works fine with no error or something. only problem is the language will back to default(English) so i need to make the registries again so it can display chinese.
What is the meaning of Life?? (Don't think about it!)
Senshi

Post by Senshi »

Sp works fine, sure. But for MP you need a CD-Key, and that one is stored in the registry. On a portable version, you don't have registries, so that sucks.Only workaround would be a batch file that edits the local registry (usually disabled on public workstations). That's where a fix would be necessary.
Dennis|8749236

Post by Dennis|8749236 »

I think there is a way..
I remember there is a Portable Version of starcraft in our School's computer. Just like you said, we cannot use registries.
But that Portable version have a excutable file called Setup.exe, and it can hack the registries(seems like it) so the game will run properly with out error.
Is that excutable going to be helpful if i can get it back from school?
Senshi

Post by Senshi »

Not really. Creating such an exe is not at all difficult, but it still doesn't solve the issue of "registry clearance". Even if it's an exe it will only work if the workstation is set up to allow registry changes. Most school computers are not that well protected and only forbid user changes but not system changes (an exe trying to make changes can easily cover as a "system change") and that's why they work. But any more "advanced" environments usually completely shut down registry changes and only allow it to administrators (PW protection). I'm certain there still are ways to circumvent those, but this would reach into illegal changes (hacking) the system. And that's something a proper portable version should not do. Alerting IT security at e.g. an university or especially at work is definitely something to avoid...
For any poor or not protected station getting BF42 portable is very easy, just get the whole folder and add a single line to the registry. a simple key.reg file would do that just fine, maybe together with a unkey.reg to remove the key after you leave the work station.
Dennis|8749236

Post by Dennis|8749236 »

How about hack into the memories?
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

Okay. So I can play BF'42 on my 500 gig hard drive if I put it on there with the "No CD" crack installed to it?
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™
Dennis|8749236

Post by Dennis|8749236 »

I think you can to play with CD Key Crack...
Try local game..
I remember local game dont require CD Key...
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

Yes, it works just fine. Which also means I don't have to fill up my hard drive with 6-7 Gigs of just Battlefield 1942 related crap.

Then I realized that my hard disk drives [HDDs] were partitioned incorrectly. 50GB for C: drive, the other 400GB on the D: drive that I have never used.
The only program I have on the D: drive is 3DS Max 7. Now I have Fedora and Win7 virtual machines on it for school related tasks.
I eventually want to do a full backup, then re-partition my HDDs so that D: has 50GB and C: has 400GB. My dad is an IT Analyst/Programmer, he can help.
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™