Hello, old friends.

For info on the site, community and 'battlefieldy' things
Why Two Kay

Hello, old friends.

Post by Why Two Kay »

Yes, this is the real me, the admin can contact be by email if he wishes, please contact me on the email I used to make this account and you will see it is indeed me.

I feel like I owe you all a bit of a story. Basically, once the old owner of SSM, toolazy2p, decided to call it quits, I took over the domain and the forum/database; in late 2007 I believe. I ran the website for a while, and we all grew into a close community, even discovering new ways of modding BF1942 so many years after it came out. In the late winter of 2009, I decided to give up running the website because I was busy with school. I sold the domain and the database to (whoever it is) that is running this website now. I realize that the transition may not have been smooth, and for that I do apologize about the past.

I am not back, however, I have given up online gaming and modding since that month of December 2009 when I gave up running SSM.com. I honestly had not played 1942 seriously since mid-2008. Does this mean I do not want you all to continue the BF1942 modding scene? Of course not. I only sold the website because I believed I was leaving it in good hands. I have not had the time to check the recent posts here, but I can only hope that you all are carrying on the BF1942 server side modding scene, which may have actually saved that game for many years.

I do have to ask, since I have not gamed in nearly 3 years now, including time when I was running SSM, what is the gaming scene like now in 1942? How many servers are there, and what is the general community like? I can't imagine there is a huge population of BF1942 players, and yet I hope there is. I made a pact years and years ago, perhaps in 2006, where I said that I would be the one to run the last BF1942 server if it was necessary, and I intend to uphold that promise.

I can only hope that my old friends at Moongamers.com will see this message. I will contact them soon enough, but for now I believe they are still running the top BF1942 server. And for that, the place I called home for so long, I do thank them. I know the founders over there are the right people to carry on this game. This game that was created in 2002. It is now the ending half of 2011, but I know there is a group out there that has a dedication to BF1942. And for that, I thank them.

I want this topic to go somewhere, so please, everybody who remember the height of BF1942 gaming, or SSM.com, or even just remembers my name, please reply! I want to start a good discussion about the classic days of BF1942. I mean, remember when we first figured out how to create invisible objects? Or spawn extra jeeps? Long before nitrous, long before custom sounds, long before so so so many of the mods. Just the fact that we could server side mod was an amazing feat of effort in 2003, and now all the servers are doing it. Remember your past.

And also, hello again, to all my friends. It's been a while. A hell of a while.

Your friend,
Why Two Kay (former names: The Xevious, 2Kills, Medic Man. Real name: Ryan V.)
motoko

Re: Hello, old friends.

Post by motoko »

Well fuck. Long time no see.
tekk

Post by tekk »

Well thanks for taking over the site/domain when you did W2K , thats much appreciated, but it was a douche move the way you left us all hanging. Many more thanks to foOk for giving us a new place and keeping the modding community alive.
Nodbrother- "getting whiped every single game by some over-active 9 year old kid with too much spare time and a reaction time that is a third of yours."
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

Good to see you on the site, Why and glad you finally stopped by. Modding scene for 1942 is always losing a few but gaining a few too.. (and even the ones leaving seem to pop up again when life provides a natural gap). It's part of the first generation of sandbox-moddable style games so I guess it's hard to predict when, if ever it will finally die out. Most likely never :)
I'm away at the mo so only on the phone and it's too much effort to type much but I'll be chipping in to this thread. Life throws up plenty of shit and I'm sure in hindsight you did not intend for ssm to go down as it did. Just good to see the main 1942 modding people in a common place for discussion.
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder »

Ahh yes I recall those days quite well. It was back when the only mod I had going was Mario Kart. Boy a lot of time has passed now that I think about it. :(

If only I had started modding earlier. There was a lot of things I added to this game that could have greatly improved some of the classic mods out there like Desert Combat and such. Just imagine what it had been like if Desert Combat had working AP mines in the post 1.4 patch era, some decent weather FX, more awesome night maps, the ragdoll death animations I made, or dynamic shadows for turrets/gun barrels? (though half of the things I did might have spelled trouble for some of the slower older machines that people had back then! :P)

Had I caught on with the modding scene much earlier I might have been able to contribute to those old projects back when there was much more peeps out there playing this game. :(

Good to see you around. Hope you stop by more often. You don't need to play/mod BF1942 to have a presence here.
ImageImageImage
I have cameras in your head!
The $py

Post by The $py »

Hello people,
Just like the most of you, I couldn't resist the lure of 1942.
I've stopped playing and modding in 2008 I guess.
I'm not a really common name but some people will know me as The $py or the 'leader' of Ruling Soldiers.
I master the basic skills of modding and I'm looking forward to contributing again to the modding scene.

I recognize names like Misfit, Way Two Kay, AnyKey and others.
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

Hmm ... the title of this thread reminds me of an old song from 1992.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2IhVEv4dfI

Unfortunately, it's blocked in Germany.
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™
Bongholio

Post by Bongholio »

Hello Y2kay.
Games not dead yet,I poll some 300 something servers when I do a MP update.
Does seem to be some **CKERY on gamespy's side,I boot my local open game
to the net and it doesn't come up on the list of servers for quite some time.
Shouldn't be an issue.
Before I was 10 mbps down 1.5 up (and had 4 internet players),now I am 30 mbps down 5 up.
All the Best
"that old curmudgeon" Bongholio

EDIT
ummm derr
300 players not servers
You can't fix stupid,...but you can give it a plastic bag to play with