Battlefield 3 Alpha released!

For info on the site, community and 'battlefieldy' things
Apache Thunder

Battlefield 3 Alpha released!

Post by Apache Thunder »

I just got an email invite from EA to test the alpha release of Battlefield 3! I got the alpha key and am downloading it now!

So I'm about to find out if this game is going to be any good. :P

Any one else lucky enough to get a slot in the alpha be sure to post your experiences with this as well. :D

LET THE FUN BEGIN!!! :D
ImageImageImage
I have cameras in your head!
fo0k

Re: Battlefield 3 Alpha released!

Post by fo0k »

This is just about typical for me. I know someone on the inside who has run out of keys but due to send me a couple.

These 'internal connections' always seem to taker longer than the front door route!
freddy

Post by freddy »

dumb game, i´m just getting knifed all the time lol :D

seriously i need a better compu hohoho
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder »

Found out late last night after I came home from work that BF3 alpha won't run in Windows XP 64-bit....I'm pissed to say the least. So I guess I have to boot into Windows 7 just to play this game....just like with Bad Company 2....Looks like they may have pulled DX9 support from the game. Things aren't looking good guys. :(
ImageImageImage
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

After hearing that the game might be too technical/complex to have mods, I began thinking about how the game might be to technologically advanced to run on older systems such as WinXP. I don't expect any modern games to work with Vista, because it's terrible when it comes to compatibility [as I see it].
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™
motoko

Post by motoko »

Swaffy wrote:After hearing that the game might be too technical/complex to have mods, I began thinking about how the game might be to technologically advanced to run on older systems such as WinXP. I don't expect any modern games to work with Vista, because it's terrible when it comes to compatibility [as I see it].
They discontinued it because they wanted to focus more on DX10/11. Its more because it was promised to be a PC game and not a console port, so they decided that the best way to do it is to use the newest versions of DX that are often neglected by devs. Can't say I don't agree with them, since DX9 is old. It will also work with Vista and up as it supports DX 10.

Just incase you didn't know, Windows XP can only support DX9c and below. I'm not sure if its the architecture of it, or if its Microsoft trying to get people to upgrade to Windows 7.
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder »

The DX9 limit on XP was purely a business decision by Microsoft. There is no technical reason why XP couldn't have DX10/11. Microsoft is just trying to get customers to dump something they already paid for so they can throw more money into yet another product. Figures since they can't make a profit if everybody likes an existing product so much that they stick with it for nearly a decade.... :P

Well the alpha test is over now. The open beta will occur in September and unlike the alpha will likely include tests of the singleplayer side of the game and probably more maps to choose from too. :D
ImageImageImage