Reflections & collision meshes

Ask questions, discuss ideas, get answers
Coroner47

Reflections & collision meshes

Post by Coroner47 »

I don't know if ive been sitting infront of the laptop too long today or if i created a bug... but im getting a glassy reflection of the sky in my sniper scope lens. Ive never noticed this before. Am i on glue?

Also, i wanted to add collisions to the helmets & other kitparts of the soldiers. Everything works, but what i did to make the collision more accurate (so you can still shoot ppl in the face) i removed the 6 sided box style collision mesh from the 3d object, cloned the lod object & made it the new col mesh. Question is, is it bad to have a collision mesh with alot of detail? I don't notice any performance drop.
Pray hard, die fast
fo0k

Re: Reflections & collision meshes

Post by fo0k »

I think you may be on glue. lenses are mostly envmapped from what i recall

the collisions.. hmm.. i was under the impression that all models just used the actual player mesh for collision anyway?
MR PINK BALLS

Post by MR PINK BALLS »

helmet can be done tlk to me on xfire
Image Image

I <3 Ironmen
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

useful if you post it here :)
Coroner47

Post by Coroner47 »

alright Pinky says this new collision mesh isn't gonna effect the performance of the game & i trust him because he's a smart dude. The question is answered.

Im still confused about this reflection business in my sniper scope though. I can't believe that i haven't noticed this before. It seems to dissapear (spelling? drunk) when i enter into shadowed areas? If this reflection is legit, how can i use it with windows of vehicles & other stuff?

here a video of the reflection in the sniper scope :shock:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lyccXshBio
Pray hard, die fast
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

So environment mapping seems to have escaped you for the past 8 years it seems!

you can add this envmap/reflection to anything.. it is a line of code in the rs file of an object and the amount of reflection is determined by the alpha layer in the texture.

I think even the browning has envmap.. you can see the reflections in the scratches on the gun.

the envmap images are stored in the textures folder of your map prefixed with 'env'. these giv e the appearance of reflections of your surrounding terrain.. but they are not actual dynamic reflections.. just a respresentation.

do you play around with 3d objects etc.. CSM's? maybe why you have missed this... I think 'reflections' as I knew them was one of the first thing i learned when mapping :) can help more if you need it on this.

It dissappears in the shadows intentionally to help things look 'realistic'.. however enmapping does have problems with maps where the 'in shadow darkness' is enabled (its the LightmapShadowBits.lsb file that controls this). sometimes envmapping will vanish in the shadows only to never return when you come back out.. its a bf bug afaik. *just noticed that bug happen in your vid!

check out this vid of some 'extreme' envmapping i did for a chrome landscape :)
http://is82.com/e107_plugins/greygallery/view.php?id=2794
...and all of this presumes you were not aware of how this works.. apologies if I've missed the point.
Coroner47

Post by Coroner47 »

well i must have smoked some crack in my sleep... because i don't recall ever seeing this reflection on the sniper scope lens. Wow! Strange! Maybe i updated my vid card drivers or something. I know ive seen some glassy looking effect on some vehicles which i suppose is this env mapping effect. So can i add this effect to say, a molitov cocktail bottle if i have the alpha layer set to be partially transparent? Would i get a partially transparent bottle & a reflection. Duh i guess i can try myself!
Pray hard, die fast